General discussion

Space Problem

I am a new user of cnet, and i would like to be called as enigma nukes or genie khan now choice is on you, well my concern is that i have space problem on that drive in which i have installed my operating system windows 7, in my case it is drive C, i tried deleteing unused softwares and deleting brwosing history moving my downloads to other drives, but still no positive result every day i get a low space on that drive, Can anyway please me on this problem...Thankyou

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Space Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Space Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: space problem

The usuals:
1. Download ccleaner and give it a good clean (each user apart, as each user has his own temp files).
2. Uninstall programs you no longer use (but that won't amount to gigabytes)
3. Have a good look at your data. You might not need everything any more, there might be duplicates.

What are the statistics of your drive? Total, used and free? Do you have other drives with more space available to move things to?

Kees

- Collapse -
advice

How about ccleaner can i trust this software

- Collapse -
Just a question to start;

what you total harddrive space and what's the amount of free space on the C-partition?

- Collapse -
answering

well thankyou for reply my space on drive c is 19GB and i have left with only 71 GB and yes i have three other drives for music games and softwares everyone seperate do you think ccleaner is good and free of spywares

- Collapse -
a little mistake i did

i meant that i am left with only 71MB free space

- Collapse -
Just a note.

Hi GenieKhan and welcome to the forums.

With only 19 GB a hard drive you will always have to 'manage' disk usage; meaning, you will always struggle with space on such a small drive.

You can help a little bit extra by disabling System Restore, then re-enabling it. This will delete all the current System Restore backup files which can mount up over time. Guidance for this below;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-System-Restore-on-or-off

However, a word of advice. Only do this if your computer is working well without problems, (other than the hard disk space).

There may be another problem with this Windows 7 installation. This is the "Winsxs folder" problem. Winsxs is a folder inside the Windows folder. The full path is;
C:\Windows\winsxs

This folder holds all of the data that is saved whenever Windows is updated, and can grow alarmingly. There's a brief discussion about this here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?messageID=3069825#3069825

There is no solution to that problem as yet.

Mark

- Collapse -
All Well

first of all i will like to thank all of you whom took time to help me i found this forum very nice and friendly and also helping and useful...i used the ccleaner as been adviced and i got 4.64GB space from 71MB but i am a little worried could have deleted some files that can cause major problem important sysytem files system... Mr.markflax i have a total of 80GB hard disk in which i alloted 19GB to drive C in which i only keep my windows nothing else.....and another question i download things through IDM but i changed the directories to save the files is it possible that a little of that still goes to the original directory i mean to windows on which i had space problem.....thankyou so much all of you i will stay tuned i am gonna love this forum....

- Collapse -
all well with addition

in the last message i meant that "I AM WORRIED THAT COULD CCLEANER HAVE DELETED SOME FILES THAT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEM IS IT POSSIBLE LIKE THAT OR NOT" thankyou its just a correction message

- Collapse -
CCleaner deletions

Hi again GenieKhan.

If you used CCleaner's default settings for deleting temporary files then you have nothing to be concerned about.

What do I mean by default settings? I mean, when you open CCleaner, the first page it opens to is the page that analyses your hard drive's Temporary files, Temporary Internet Files, and other temporary data that is not needed, but which builds up over time. Making no changes to the settings on that page, and then deleting the files that CCleaner marks for deletion makes no difference to the performance of the system.

CCleaner does have other pages/options, eg a registry analyser/cleaner page, but if you are not sure, it is always best to stay away from that. Having said that, CCleaner's Registry cleaning option is quite benign, and having used it myself on occasion I have never had any problems.

You mentioned downloading things through IDM. I'm not sure what IDM is, but I think I understand what you mean. Correct me if what I say below is in error;

Downloading and installing software.

1] You have an 80 GB drive of which 19 GB is the C Drive partition reserved for the Windows installation. You have one or more other partitions on this same hard disk for other things.

2] When you install software you install it to 'another' partition. That means that, when you watch the installation process, if the install offers you to change the default location for the installation, you change that location from C:\Program files\ to some other partition.

3] There is usually no problem with that. Occasionally some software will not offer a change of install location, (Adobe software springs to mind), but if the software does, then Windows is quite happy with installing the software on different partitions.

4] However: However, most software installations will also install files all over the C drive, eg in the C:\Windows folder, or in the Users folders. You cannot prevent that as this is where the installer places those files. So your C drive will continue to fill up as and when you install software. Usually those files are not very large, and makes little difference to the remaining space on the C: partition.

5] Even if you uninstall software installed on other partitions, not all files are deleted. Software developers are notorious in failing to program their uninstaller procedures properly, and while the main program/software files are removed, there will always be remnants left behind.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Hi Mark Flax

Thankyou very much for your kind advices.....i actually meant that i download videos,music,documents and stuff like that through a downloader called as INTERNET DOWNLOAD MANAGER shortly know as IDM which i mentioned before....my point of concern was that this downloader have its original files saving directories on the drive C every category is seperate like for music its seperate for videos its seprate and so on for documents and compressed files...in order to save my space i changed the saving path from DRIVE C to another partition now all the stuff which i download like music,videos,documents and compressed files goes to that path which i have selected other then drive C....so my question was that IS IT STILL POSSIBLE THAT SOME SCRAP FROM THE FILES I DOWNLOAD GOES TO TO DRIVE C(my windows drive) BECAUSE I HAD SEEN THAT WHEN I START DOWNLOADING SOMETHING ON THE IDM THE SPACE ON THE DRIVE C DECREASE THOUGH THE FILES AREN'T BEEN SAVED THERE NOR IT GOES THERE......WHATS THE PROBLEM

- Collapse -
Ahh I see.

You mean you downloaded media files like music and videos, and documents, from the internet then saved those files to a folder, (or folders), on the C drive.

When you move those files away from the C drive to another drive or partition, no remnants are left behind.

It may be that, as you are downloading files, some 'temporary files' are being created in Temp or Temporary folders on the C drive, but they should disappear when the downloads are complete. If not, then that is what CCleaner does so well.

Mark

- Collapse -
thankyou

my all downloads directly goes to another drive....thanks for your help i found ccleaner really helpful and my problem is solved now.

- Collapse -
(NT) Glad we could help.
- Collapse -
Best

Another concern can any one say which one is the best anti virus i myself use nod32

- Collapse -
Yep, Nod32 is fine.

It's a difficult question to answer GenieKhan. We all have our own favorites, and wars have begun in discussions like these where members prefer 'one over another'. Happy

Having an anti-virus scanner installed and constantly updated is vital, but anti-virus utilities do not catch all threats. To be as secure as possible we also need other utilities to back-up our arsenal of anti-malware options, and we often recommend free utilities like Malwarebytes' Antimalware and SUPERAntispyware to complement our anti-virus scanners.

We also have to exercise common sense in the way we use our systems, especially for surfing the internet and managing emails, and for that I couldn't do any better than to refer you to Jimmy Greystone's excellent list of "Tips for a problem free computing experience".

If you followed those, the threats to your system will be much reduced.

Mark

- Collapse -
Amazing

I used a lot of antiviruses before but the results i got from NOD32 HAD NEVER BEEN IN ANOTHER ONE.... now i am a sort of relaxed with it now a days like as for as i think i dont get much viruses now....

- Collapse -
i think

i think that ccleaner deletes registry keys too which does cause bigger problem should i trust this software

- Collapse -
There are a couple of things you might consider and ...

one is to use CCleaner as suggested - It is safe to use and if you do not fully understand the various settings don't change the settings but use the default settings.

You can also take the Page File and move it from the C: partition to one of ypout other drives or partitions. Do this as follows:
1. Right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties.
2. Now click Advanced tab and click on the Settings button in the Performance section.
3. The Performance Options dialog box appears, click Advanced tab.
Click the Change button at the lower right corner of this window to open the Virtual memory window.
4. The Virtual memory window appears, and you can now select the drive you want the paging file and set its Custom size box. I suggest setting the initial size and maximum size to be the same as in equal to your physical memory (RAM) up to 1 GB if you have one GB physical RAM and 1GB to 1.5GB if you have two GB of physical RAM.

- Collapse -
hello

thankyou very much and i will come time by time if i had other problems i will apply whatever you suggested and will see how it works anyways thanks dude

- Collapse -
turn off the system restore

CNET Forums

Forum Info