Question

space in C drive

HDD of my PC (500 GB) is partitioned in to 3 parts, in which 'C' drive (50 GB). Apart from the OS (Windows 7), "My Documents" etc. nothing much is kept there. The available space in 'C' drive shows 2.5 GB only (i.e. 47.5 GB is occupied) where as the total of space occupied by individual folders contained in it is 35 GB. Why this difference of 12.5 GB and how can I see the contents of this 12.5 GB so that some unwanted files can be deleted ? I understand that some space is taken by the system, but can it be to the extent of 12.5 GB ?
Hope to get a clarification at the earliest.... B.N.Bhattacharya (bnber_2004@yahoo.co.in )

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: space in C drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: space in C drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: space in C-drive

Download Treesize Free from http://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/. Install it, run as administrator, allow it to do changes (it won't) and all your questions will be answered.

Then run the Disk Cleanup Wizard, in its advanced option ask it to delete all but the latest restore point and run again. Notice the difference.
DON'T do a manual delete in that System Volume Information folder!

Kees

- Collapse -
space in C drive

Thanks Mr. Kees. I'll surely try it out. I wd be glad to know the reason of this difference and how to see the contents of this 12.5 GB. Also, kindly advise what steps can I take to avoid such incidents in future... B.N.Bhattacharya

- Collapse -
Re: disc space

How to avoid this:
- keep your c-drive clean (remove unnecessary files)
- make your c:-partition bigger (and the next one smaller)
- move stuff to one of your other partitions
- combine the 3 partitions to one big partition
- buy a larger hard disk and make the c-drive larger than 50 GB
Totally your choice on how to manage your system.

Kees

- Collapse -
disc space

Sorry, i didn't get specific replies to my queries mentioned in two earlier postings. Will appreciate reply to the queries put up....
- c drive is absolutely clean and no virus etc., unnecessary files deleted already.
- Considering Windows 7 takes about 11 gb, a provision of 50 GB was kept, felt to be sufficient.
- shifting data to other partition gas alreadybeen done
-Partitions were made as any problem, be it virus or anything else, in any one partition can not damage other partitions.Also taking back ups wd be easier.
B.N.Bhattacharya

- Collapse -
Re: disc space

Which queries exactly do you mean? Please repeat them in a numbered list.
If the c-drive is 'absolutely clean' and still 'too full', it's 'too small'. If you felt it would be sufficient, maybe by now you feel otherwise.

PS. My own 64 GB SSD used as a system drive has between 27 and 35 GB used, depending on the cleaning state. I'm feeling confortable myself.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely.

You appear to be new to Windows so let's cover the usual. I will try to not write about the false security of "keep the OS to its own partition."

Not only do you have to learn about the hidden System Volume Information folder but how Microsoft collects downloads over time in many temp areas for Windows Update as well as the System Restore areas.

50GB is nothing today so it's a shame you picked something so small. I can only guess you are new to this and why you tried it on such a small volume.

-> If you want to poke around, use a bootable Live CD (no install required) such as Ubuntu. Then you can see all the hidden folders and files.
Bob

CNET Forums