HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

Space Control

by tyrantiger / November 20, 2004 12:42 PM PST

i've got two drives, planning to cut out 1gb in c drive for my bro to use, and the other one hidden. is that achievable?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Space Control
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Space Control
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Space Control
by Steven Haninger / November 23, 2004 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Space Control
Collapse -
Re: Space Control
by tyrantiger / November 24, 2004 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Space Control

thanks for directing to the the website, it helped out alot, but when i right click on the drive i want to hide, and chose "sharing", i couldn't tick the box of "make this folder private". any idea? i'm the computer administrator btw.

Collapse -
I need to admit
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2004 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Space Control

I have worked some with these but not created one but am curious enough to try. Are you using XP Pro or Home or Win2K. There are some advantages to taking ownership as well. System ownership trumps adminstrator privileges.

Collapse -
Re: I need to admit
by tyrantiger / November 25, 2004 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: I need to admit

i'm using window xp pro

Collapse -
Ok, I did this
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2004 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: I need to admit

but with Win2K and it worked and should for XP. I created a partition and formatted as NTFS. I logged on as an adminstrator and made myself the owner of the partition. I then removed all other user groups. I created a restricted user account and logged on as such. The partition was no longer available when logged on as such. This is as I expected would happen. With XP Pro, it will be necessary to disable simple file sharing and require logon with a password to do this. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: Ok, I did this
by tyrantiger / November 25, 2004 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: Ok, I did this

thanks for the advice, but is it achievable without partitioning the drive?

Collapse -
Maybe I am confused
by Steven Haninger / November 26, 2004 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ok, I did this

You mentioned having two drives and wanted to "cut out" 1 gig of the C: drive for your bros use. I interpreted this to mean create that 1 gig as a separate partitition. In this case, you would need a utility to do such. You can hide the contents of folders, partitions or entire drives. This does not make them completely invisible except that user restrictions can be placed to prevent viewing the contents of these. They cannot even see what types of files or folders are within them. Now, you do not have to partition the drive but, in order to limit space to 1 gig, you would need to set it as a "quota". This is another matter. So, I am thinking you will need to deal with partitions. These will also be best served by formatting as NTFS. You will need to create a restricted user account for anyone you want to use your PC but not access certain partitions or folders. You simply take full ownership of these protected areas and remove such usergroups as your bro or others are a part of. You need to remember that all users are also a part of a group and it's the group that you can place restrictions on.

Collapse -
Re: Maybe I am confused
by tyrantiger / November 26, 2004 3:34 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe I am confused

yeh, sorry i didn't make myself clear, i was talking about ristricting the hard drive size to 1gb. cause at my school, every student has around 50mb of hard drive space to use, once it fills up, the system will ask you to delete some or else you can't store anymore. that's what i wanted to do with my c drive, to ristrict 1gb to my bro, not partioning.

and with my other drive, i simply jsut wanna hide it, like it never exist. i tried using tweak xp pro 4.0, it hides the drive in my account, that's ok. but whne i log on as another user, it didn't even hide! it just sat there welcoming my bro to fill it up!

thanx for the help anyway

Collapse -
Think I am getting it now
by Steven Haninger / November 26, 2004 10:58 PM PST

Put that way, you might have two needs. One is to hide/restrict access and the other is to limit space. The later is one issue I have been trying to work with in a school that I offer some volunteer support for. I am wanting to do this by building a file server as a place for the kids to each have their own space instead of scattering it all over the network and losing it. Though the project is on hold for financial reasons, what I wanted to do is have dedicated space for each user and block others (except administrators) from messing with it. It's actually possible to have each users "My Documents" folder moved to server space and manage it from any PC on the network. However, when doing this it's wise to establish quotas. This is easily done with NTFS volumes. You set the space and the point at which a warning is generated. MS has articles on this but I won't post links at this point. A google search for setting quotas will find it. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
Re: Think I am getting it now
by tyrantiger / November 28, 2004 2:38 PM PST

yeh, you're exactly right about what i'm trying to do. so the keyword is quota yeh? thanks for the help, hope i could find some articles about it. thankyou

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.