HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

SP4 for Windows 2000

by rmcarl / December 3, 2008 10:07 PM PST

A friend thinking she had Windows 2000 on her computer, asked me to download SP4 for her to a CD. She installed it on her computer that has Windows ME as the operating system. Would this cause problems to her computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP4 for Windows 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP4 for Windows 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP4
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2008 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: SP4 for Windows 2000

I don't expect this to install. There should be some basic checking to see if the target machine has Windows 2000 SP3 or lower.

If it would install nonetheless, I expect a big mess.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:SP4
by rmcarl / December 3, 2008 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: SP4

If it did install, how would it be uninstalled?

Collapse -
It wouldn't
by Jimmy Greystone / December 4, 2008 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re:SP4

It wouldn't install, end of story. If it did, in some alternate reality, she would have a non-booting system and you'd have to format it and start over.

WinMe and Win2000 are two completely different operating systems, and I mean on the order of two completely different lineages. WinMe is the last of the DOS line, while Windows2000 is part of the NT line that was either written completely from scratch or based on some early OS/2 code depending on who you want to ask. Either way, it's completely different from WinMe under the hood and a service pack for Win2K would obliterate a WinMe install if you somehow managed to make it happen. There would be no going back short of a complete reinstall.

Collapse -
Thanks Kees and Jimmy!
by rmcarl / December 4, 2008 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: It wouldn't

Happy to hear that!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.