Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

sp3 someone please make up my mind!!

by poorplmbr / September 20, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

Should I install it? Do I need to? Will it do my PC any harm?I've heard so many good and bad reviews that I'm not sure what to do!!!
Dell Dimension 2400,XP Home, SP2, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz,1.25 Gig RAM,......Any other info I can supply?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sp3 someone please make up my mind!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sp3 someone please make up my mind!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 10:55 AM PDT

But if it didn't I can restore from backup. Let's say your hard disk just vanished. Are you ready? If not, don't install this till you are.
Bob

Collapse -
Service packs
by Jimmy Greystone / September 20, 2008 12:03 PM PDT

Service packs, and other security related updates, should be considered MANDATORY. Just do as Bob said, and always make sure you have a backup before installing any major updates. Or at least be willing to accept that all your data may disappear, even if it's an unlikely event.

Collapse -
How much clearer can we be?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 7:50 PM PDT
Happy

I installed it, no problems at all.

Mark
Collapse -
sp3 sucks
by internet_guy / September 21, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

well dont bother installing service pack 3

it makes your system sluggish and also the internet get slower

when u tried to uninstall it ,u will probably get a error called cant find the specified file

i wouldn't have bother downloading it ,if its not included in automatic updates

Microsoft shud have not include that thing in automatic updates

right now i need to do re install of windows xp ,coz none in the official Microsoft forum cudnt come with a solution

Collapse -
No it doesn't
by Jimmy Greystone / September 21, 2008 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: sp3 sucks

No it doesn't do ANY of the things you say it does. There is the possibility of a slight decrease in performance, but it's better than the alternative of having your machine overrun by malware exploiting the security holes that were patched as part of the service pack.

Almost every time someone has significant problems with a service pack, it's a result of a malware infested system. So if you're experiencing issues, I would suggest that you check your system for malware, and stop erroneously claiming that it is the result of service pack 3.

While you're at it, if you hope to ever be taken seriously, you should at least make an attempt to spell correctly. A few spelling and grammar errors can be easily overlooked, but when there's a deliberate attempt to not even try, I find it very hard to take a person seriously, and look at them with the same general contempt I have for pre-adolescent girls in all their "OMG PONIES!!!1" annoying glory. Like I've said to others, if I were ever in the position to hire someone, and I received a cover letter and/or resume full of blatant misspellings like your post, I'd chuck the thing in the garbage and never give it a second thought.

Collapse -
sp3
by kwiemers / September 21, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

On the advice of my computer guy, I attempted to download sp3 as it has been sent to me via automatic updates. It would not download for some reason, and it had to uninstall itself, after warning me my XP might not work right. This makes me furious. What makes my XP different than anyone else's?

Collapse -
sp3 total disaster
by toobernutz / September 26, 2008 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: sp3

sp3 update "installation" groaned seemingiy forever. Then it reported that installation could not complete (Error code 0X8007005, not listed by microsoft) and that "Windows...may not work properly." It doesn't. Programs crash, change their own settings and after a while XP acts like 98/Me and just locks up. System Restore does not have any restore points.
sp3 will not uninstall ("The system cannot find the file specified.") No response from microsoft update "support".
Today the final indignity. I can't connect to any sites except the local library. Same results with all browsers. "Safe mode" no difference. This message is entered on the same network with an iBook. My 8 year old P4 OK.
Beware of ALL things microsoft. They took their first stable operating system and totally trashed it.
I welcome any possible solutions to fixing this meltdown.

Collapse -
In your case, read this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2008 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: sp3 total disaster
Collapse -
Problems with your install?
by helljack6 / September 21, 2008 8:40 AM PDT

I have to go with the MODs on this one, i've installed XP SP3 on over 1000 seperate systems in a network, each using a master image as the base, same hardware, same software, not one system had problems. Benchmark performance increased by 10%.

Agreed on the other point that Service Packs should be mandatory. These are vital to the continued protection of your computer.

Collapse -
mine would not load
by kwiemers / September 21, 2008 9:47 AM PDT

It got halfway through the installation and then a window popped up that said:

service pack three set up error
access denied

with a red circled X and an ok in the window...

Then I got a window that said:

SP3 installation did not complete
select ok to undo the changes that have been made

Then the next window told me this:

Software Update Removal Wizard which removed all it had begun, and I had to restart my computer with a warning that xp might not work properly.

So, it was not due to my not wanting sp3...it simply would not install on my machine...and I want to know why.

Collapse -
Don't use Automatic Updates
by Jimmy Greystone / September 21, 2008 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: mine would not load

Don't use Automatic Updates to get SP3. Go download the network installer that weighs in around 300MB IIRC. Any little hiccup with your Internet connection will cause problems with the automatic updates version.

Collapse -
+1
by helljack6 / September 21, 2008 11:15 AM PDT

Definitely agree here, if you google Microsoft SP3 Downloads, you're going to get a TON of websites that offers the SP3 for free download other than getting it direct from microsoft, 316mb installer package to be exact.

Collapse -
I was a snap
by Brenda52 / September 26, 2008 6:31 AM PDT

No problems.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!