Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP3 Install gets stuck!

I just installed sp2 yesterday only to forget that there was a third service pack. Started the install today and it still going over 2 or 3 hours later. It appears to be stuck on the stage of "running processes after install". I have gone all over the internet looking for a proper answer to what I should do.

The computer is not an AMD based computer and I have met the requirements for Symantec for Norton not to interfere. It is still on the same stage as I am typing this.

I have terminated a few processes that are not needed at the moment. e.g. Google Toolbar something something, iTunes Helper and iPod service with still no luck. I feel the solution is to end a certain process somewhere but have no idea which one. The cancel button is also grayed out and I am updating through windows update.

P.S. The computer is not completely frozen. I can still open other windows and move the mouse.

I could really do with some answers really soon.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP3 Install gets stuck!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP3 Install gets stuck!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP3 Install gets stuck!

In reply to: SP3 Install gets stuck!

Collapse -
Talked to a Microsoft Guy

In reply to: Re: SP3 Install gets stuck!

Thanks for the link. I chatted to someone from Microsoft who helped me to manage to get back to SP2. Now I need help on what to do so it doesn't happen again. I really don't want to have it stop again and restore again because it takes sooooo long to restore.

Collapse -
You're Welcome. Did you...

In reply to: Talked to a Microsoft Guy

follow ALL the below guidelines prior to first trying to install SP3?

"Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us

And another..

"Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation"
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

I did a lot preparation before installing it. Only to name a couple of things, I cleaned up files with CCleaner and also did a Defrag. Did you consider downloading the installer file to your desktop and doing an offline install? The entire process took 40 minutes. The time may vary for other's.

When you "chatted" with the "MS Guy", did you ask if they'd help you with trying to reinstall SP3? I highly doubt they're going to "hold everyone's hand", while waiting for SP3 to install, but it might not hurt to ask. The very worst they can do is say ... "Are you crazy"??

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you..
Carol

Collapse -
Yeah.

In reply to: You're Welcome. Did you...

I was meant to be able to get back in touch with him after the restore back to SP2 but the chat service was apparently, "unavaliable" when I tried to.

Oh well. I was going to do a defrag anyway. It needs one too. Hasn't been done for almost two years! Thanks anyway.

--Jono--

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.