Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"SP3 IE 8 not digitally signed driver US Robotics"

by electricseashell / September 20, 2008 12:40 PM PDT

IBM Laptop ThinkPad -originally loaded with Windows 2000
Windows XP Professional Version 2002- new install
tried to update IE7 was only given the option to download and install IE8 now I cant find help for IE8
automatic updates only half completes then stalls
I have a US Robotics 802.11g PN USR 5410 of course there is no digitally signed drivers. I kept being referred to US Robitics site to get a signed driver I downloaded both versions available for XP installed, niether one worked so I used the CD and reinstalled from the CD now, My browser keeps freezing up on me or the wireless card wont be recognized, or wont dump the PRNcache and I cant do the updates. What should I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "SP3 IE 8 not digitally signed driver US Robotics"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "SP3 IE 8 not digitally signed driver US Robotics"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would have avoided IE8
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 7:48 PM PDT

It is a Beta, and still being tested.

I'm not sure from your post what the problem is. Browsers do not need drivers, so what is the relation to IE8 with the US Robotics drivers you have been trying to find and install?

I understand that the US Robotics 802.11g PN USR5410 is a wireless network adapter. I know nothing about wireless or adapters, but you need to be clear what difficulties you are now experiencing.

Here are some of the things you need to clarify;

1] Is IE8 now working properly for you?

2] Automatic Updates stalls. Do you mean all Windows Updates?

3] What is the problem with the US Robotics 802.11g PN USR5410 ? Does it work now? Did it work before?

4] "browser keeps freezing up on me or the wireless card wont be recognized". Are these two related?

5] Why have you mentioned the PRNcache? A quick glance at Google suggests this may be a virus.

Collapse -
avoid IE8
by electricseashell / October 10, 2008 11:14 AM PDT

I agree I should have refused the beta version I know better,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to the forum to readdress the topic. I was having a terrible time staying on line trying to use firefox didn't help. Then spent four days in the hospital with pneumonia.

I took the laptop to a professional who reinstalled everything and got it working again. I'm sorry I wasnt able to figure out what the issue really was. Thanks for your help. ESS

Collapse -
I'm glad you got it sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2008 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: avoid IE8

And I am sorry to hear about your other problems. I hope you are fully recovered now.

Often it is the best and quickest way, to take the computer to a repair shop and let them re-install everything. In effect you get a brand new system back.

The only problem with that is, you lose all your personal files that are not backed up.

But anyway, best wishes.

Collapse -
tried to update IE7?
by Coryphaeus / September 20, 2008 10:24 PM PDT

How? Why? IE7 does not have an update and you're never forced into IE8. The only updates are from Microsoft and IE7 is not a stand alone update. I have or have had 5 ThinkPads all running XP. I've never seen that IE8 update. Can you share more what update you were trying to do?

Collapse -
being forced to IE8
by electricseashell / October 10, 2008 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: tried to update IE7?

It certainly seemed that way to me. I did an automatic update which called for a restart. On restart a Microsoft recommendation window opened and suggested I install IE8. I closed it and continued to look for a compatible driver.
I was continuously sent to that IE8 page, so I assumed that my IE7 was corrupt or outdated searched for a repair install, again redirected to IE8. So out of frustration I finally downloaded it. Was asked to take the survey and made sure to tell them how I didn't care to add a Beta but couldn't get to IE7. Added silverlight and a ad blocker since I had it... ugh never load Beta.. hopefully I'll remember that this time. Thanks ESS

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?