General discussion

SP3 desktop internet icons don't work

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="3">Running XP SP3. Laptop was
loaned to my stepson but was not used for almost a year. I ran ms update and ms
security essentials, then used CCleaner.<?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><oSilly></oSilly></font>
</font><span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="3">The Desktop shortcuts for
internal files etc. work. I use Google as preferred web browser. The Google
desktop shortcut connects to Google. Other shortcuts show hourglass for a few
seconds and then nothing, not even an error.<oSilly></oSilly></font>
</font><span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="3">I deleted the Facebook
shorcut, opened Google, put in the Facebook address, brought up Facebook, added
to favorites. Clicked favorites/facebook and it comes up. Closed google, double
clicked facebook shortcut, nothing, right clicked selected open, nothing!<oSilly></oSilly></font>
</font><span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="3">I used google to get to your
website, created a shortcut, closed google, double clicked dnet shortcut,
nothing.<oSilly></oSilly></font>
</font><span style="font-family: Arial;"><font size="3">I am mystified, all internet
icons worked before I used CCleaner.<oSilly></oSilly></font>
</font>

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: SP3 desktop internet icons don't work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SP3 desktop internet icons don't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Very hard to read.

Next time PREVIEW your post and as to the issue, then try SAFE MODE and report what happens. XP has been out for over a decade so I'll not write about SAFE MODE today.
Bob

- Collapse -
My posting goof!

I got a bit confused, I would have edited it but did not see any way to do it.

Running XP SP3. Laptop was loaned to my stepson but was not used for almost a year. I ran ms update and ms security essentials, then used CCleaner.
The Desktop shortcuts for internal files etc. work. I use Google as preferred web browser. The Google desktop shortcut connects to Google. Other shortcuts show hourglass for a few seconds and then nothing, not even an error.
I deleted the Facebook shorcut, opened Google, put in the Facebook address, brought up Facebook, added to favorites. Clicked favorites/facebook and it comes up. Closed google, double clicked facebook shortcut, nothing, right clicked selected open, nothing!
I used google to get to your website, created a shortcut, closed google, double clicked dnet shortcut, nothing.
I am mystified, all internet icons worked before I used CCleaner.

- Collapse -
So internet desktop shortcuts fail?

Let's be clear that that feature was a new idea for XP. Cleaners and more can break this.

Try the usual.

1. Set the browser back to IE for now.
2. Run the HTM/HTML registry fix for associations at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

About CCLEANER. I've never found that to hurt but then again, I use it solely for file cleaning, the stock settings and may not use the other cleaners.
Bob

- Collapse -
Tried Safe Mode

I Tried Safe Mode but Internet Explorer did not work!

- Collapse -
My advice was off.

Your first post was a mangled pile of text so I may have been amiss to suggest safe mode. Let's forget that for now.

- Collapse -
Resolution

I received an email from another Forum. The suggested fix was to reinstall IE8, I did and it worked.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

CNET Forums