Computer Help forum

General discussion

SP3 and UPS problems.

by caktus / October 8, 2009 6:11 AM PDT

I am using an Emachines T3624 with XP Home SP2 and IE6.

Problem 1.)
I recently removed SP3. A/R programs and A/R Pro no longer indicate the presence of SP3, Belarc indicates that SP3 is installed and Windows Update offers SP3 for download.) I think perhaps some SP3 files may have been left behind that I cannot locate. My reason for removing SP3 was that installation of IE8 required that it first be removed though I am currently still have IE6. It seems that SP3 was published prior to IE8, I wonder what's up with that.

BTW, the system seemed to be becoming progressively unstable and it seems removing SP3 has cleared this up.

Problem 2.)
I keep getting the following error in the Event Viewer but I do not use an UPS. Power Options > UPS > Details > Select indicate "None". An error shows up weather the UPS Service is set to Disabled, Manual or Automatic. These errors do not seem to be causing problems but still, it seems that something is not right. My Google searches only result in such errors where a UPS is attached to the computer. I seem to recall something in Power Options relating to 'what to do in the event of power failure or if the computer starts running on batteries', but I no longer see anything like that in the Power Options.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing these problems and how to fix them?

Thank you, Charlie.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 10/8/2009
Time: 3:04:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-705C6438B6
Description:
The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error:
The UPS service is not configured correctly.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP3 and UPS problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP3 and UPS problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, yeah!
by caktus / October 8, 2009 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: SP3 and UPS problems.

Avast! does not indicate the preseance of viruses of spyware.

Collapse -
Charlie, That's 'As Designed"......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: SP3 and UPS problems.

You can ignore the SP3 indications given by Belarc.. For some reason, Belarc records EVERY Windows Update after SP2 as being a SP3 update.. In fact, Belarc's information indicated such BEFORE SP3 was ever released.. So, take their listing with a grain of salt and simply understand that the designation means the update was released after SP2 and before SP3..

As to the Event Viewer, I'll guess you still have the UPS service enabled in "Services" and if so, then "None" is the selection you probably have in the Display-Screen Saver-Power button-UPS tab. You might try shutting down the "Uninterruptible Power Supply" service and set it to "Manual".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Charlie, That's 'As Designed"......
by caktus / October 8, 2009 3:18 PM PDT

Yes, it's diabled new but the error still occurs in the Event viewer. Do you think it would be safe to remove the UPS service, assuming I can find a way to remove it

Charlie

Collapse -
It May Be Possible To Uninstall It But I've Not Done It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2009 2:11 PM PDT

More importantly, although the Event Viewer is showing an error, I'm not sure it's worth worrying about. I'll guess it's a fluke after the uninstall of SP3.. I'm not seeing any such errors here and we're running about 60 XP Pro machines with SP3 just fine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
reply to: It May Be Possible.........
by caktus / October 12, 2009 5:18 PM PDT

Thanks Grif. I'll just take that grain of salt and let the EID error ride. If I find I don't like IE 8 I'll try again to get SP 3 to work for me.

Thanks, Charlie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.