General discussion

SP3

When is the last date SP3 can be installed to continue to get MS Updates?

Also, I am on dial-up. Have there been any problems for dial-up folks.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SP3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Still supported

I have dial-up and it just gets so time consuming as the only problem. You need to give it whatever time it needs, so if capable a late night leaving the system-ON may help in this regard. If there is a time limit on any future update releases, MS will give it out. For now, XP is still supported quite well. If you haven't installed SP3 yet, do so, its an important update. Further, the longer you lag, the more other following updates that rely on SP3 being present could stack-up. Once you complete a long update period, create a restore point and/or back-up ASAP to lessen a complete update repeat if the system fails for whatever reason.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Have a friend . . .
- Collapse -
Large files

Yes, you can get SP3 as a stand alone download, but that only covers what it covers at the time of its creation. Thus, further updates will still need to be done, as I already know. Us the broadband if you have it and/or access to it. What may interest you, if you know the KBxxxxx#, you can get those from MS download service rather than the update, especially for large KBxxxxx files when access to broadband is available. Burn to CD/DVD or flashdrive and install later.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
It is readily available and you can order the CD ...
- Collapse -
SP3

You answered a question I had! I have HP Home and was confused by "Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers " when I was reading about the installation process. Thanks

CNET Forums

Forum Info