Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

sp3

by hojo11779 / July 26, 2009 3:02 AM PDT

My daughter just brought a game but it requires sp3.I never downloaded sp3 because of initial reports of problems.Is it safe to download sp3 now?We have a 2.8 ghz pentium 4,running xp home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / July 26, 2009 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: sp3

Yes, it's as safe now as it was the day it launched. The only people who had problems brought it on themselves by buying a Compaq system. It was HP's fault in the end anyway, not Microsoft's.

Service packs should ALWAYS be downloaded within a week of being released unless there is a good reason to hold off, such as Compaq owners with AMD CPUs had in this case. If you are not among the affected systems, you should download service packs sooner rather than later.

Collapse -
XP SP3
by stu9999 / July 26, 2009 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I have a similiar problem when trying to install SP3 on a Dell SX280 running XP Pro 2002, P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM. These are work computers and have tried several of them and the same problem occurs on all of them, I have checked Dell website and can't find anything that would suggest SP3 should not work.
It appears to install SP3 ok but when it reboots it is stuck in a reboot cycle no matter what option you choose in the boot menu you get the initial starting of windows, then a flash of a blue screen and it reboots.
Have had to rebuild back to SP2.

Any ideas on this would be great, or may just be easier to leave as SP2?

Thanks
Stu

Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / July 26, 2009 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: XP SP3

Two things

1: Don't hijack someone else's thread. Start a new one.

2: Sounds like malware damage was your problem. If you don't clear out malware before installing the new service pack, you will likely wind up having problems. Sometimes even if you clear out the malware, it's too late and the damage is already done. If you install SP3 on a fresh install of SP2, before you install anything else, it should take just fine.

And finally, I've had to work on a couple SX280 systems in my time, and my condolences on being saddled with a POS like that. That is a seriously massive power brick those things have, and good luck if you ever suffer a power related problem with that thing. It's virtually impossible to tell whether it's a power brick or motherboard issue. You usually have to just guess, because there's just no way to diagnose it with the power supply split between the brick and motherboard. A tip for the future would be to stay away from any ultra small form factor Dell systems. The small form factor systems are generally bad enough.

Collapse -
xp sp3
by stu9999 / July 27, 2009 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

I have tried to install sp3 after rebuilding and the same thing happens, which seems rather strange to me?!

Collapse -
Sounds Like An HP/Compaq Comp With An AMD Processor?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: xp sp3
Collapse -
May Help and May Not - But it can't Hurt
by High Desert Charlie / July 27, 2009 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: sp3

I've loaded hundreds of systems with SP3 without problems, and a few with problems. No one really wants to own up to being responsible for the problem but it does, and still does exist. I recommend following the steps recommended by Microsoft BEFORE INSTALLING SP3.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

If you've already installed SP3 - I would do a system restore to before you installed it, and start over again.

One other safeguard we use in our shop is to run a command regarding the automatic updates after installing SP3.

Start --> Run --> regsvr32 wups2.dll

yes there is a space between 32 and wups2

Good Luck!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!