General discussion

SP2 upgrade doesn't work over an existing prerelease SP2

Sep 25, 2004 1:46PM PDT

I can't install any new revisions of the service pack 2 updates on top of my existing SP2 full copy. Any attempts to do it (web installer as well as full downloads) result in vague error messages that just say it can't be done. One of the messages says to uninstall the previous build. How do you "uninstall a build?" That's lame.

I'm beginning to get errors now that keep reminding me that important security and performance updates can be obtained by upgrading my configuration but whenever I try it won't let me, without any good explanation as to the cause of the error or what to do about it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SP2 upgrade doesn't work over an existing prerelease SP2
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SP2 upgrade doesn't work over an existing prerelease SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
BETA USERS CAN BE BURNED!
Sep 25, 2004 2:01PM PDT

This is the issue with the beta versions. There were warnings that using such can result in a wipe and start over of this OS.

Remember that admonishment?

Now about your post. I didn't read an error message for us to latch onto because... you didn't write it.

Bob

- Collapse -
error messages
Sep 26, 2004 3:32AM PDT

As I stated, the error messages are extremely vague and uninformative; essentially useless.

Windows Update, (AFTER downloading the update!), tells me, "failed!"... followed by, "Updates were unable to be successfully installed: Windows XP Service Pack 2". Duh. Now What?

A download of the Service Pack 2 update for administrators (AFTER unpacking/extracting all its files!-typical Microsoft always doing everything backwards) offers: "This Service Pack cannot be installed on top of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 build currently installed on your computer. Cancel this installation process (it's already terminated itself), uninstall your current Windows XP Service Pack 2 build, then re-install this Service Pack."

OK, I'll just uninstall my build, yeah that's the ticket. I love the way programmers just throw out anything that sounds good, regardless of its basis on reality.

When installing my copy of Windows, I did not notice any admonishments only screen after screen extolling the virtues of XP Professional, just like every other installation CD.

- Collapse -
You ignored the warnings and are complaining?
Sep 26, 2004 4:36AM PDT

If you use BETA software, you will get burned.

Here's what I could do in about 40 minutes. I would create the slipstreamed XP SP2 CD with AUTOSTREAMER. I'd make 2 backups of MY STUFF and settings and reinstall the OS from the slipstreamed OS CD.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re: slipstreaming XP+SP2
Sep 26, 2004 5:20AM PDT

i was wondering if there is a difference in the level of "integration" between installing XP then SP2, or using the slipstream method?

- Collapse -
Re: slipstreaming XP+SP2... Why I do this.
Sep 26, 2004 5:23AM PDT

It neatly sidesteps the issue that worms can crawl in as the owner is updating.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re: SP2 upgrade doesn't work over an existing prerelease SP2
Oct 8, 2004 12:48AM PDT

I reciently ran into a problrem in which the full sp2 updated a clients machine, then would not boot. I was able to boot in safe mode, and using add and remove programs, removed the service pack. after that the machine booted and ran fine. you might try to uninstall the pre-release before you re-build the machine. All the previous updates were restored.

- Collapse -
Re: SP2 upgrade doesn't work over an existing prerelease SP2
Oct 8, 2004 12:52AM PDT

You have to uninstall the previous SP2 beta release first. Microsoft warned that SP2 beta releases cannot be "upgraded" with new releases. To unstall the previous SP2 beta release:
1- Go to Control Panel
2- Choose "Add or Remove Programs"
3- On the top of the "Add or Remove Programs" window check the "Show Updates" box
4- The beta Service Pack 2 release should appear in the programs list
5- Click "Remove"

That is how I did it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info