Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 - Problems switching users.

I upgraded to SP2 shortly after it was released. The download and install went smoothly. However since the upgrade I am unable to switch users on my system without logging off on one user and then back on to the next. When tring to use the switch users feature, I get the users selection screen and when selecting the new user the screen flashes like it is going to switch then returns to the user selection screen.

My system has 768MB memory, an Athlon XP 2800 processor, 40G disk with about 8G free. There are 3 users set up one for my self and each of my kids.
Does anybody else have any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 - Problems switching users.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 - Problems switching users.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 - Problems switching users.

In reply to: SP2 - Problems switching users.

This is likely a profile issue. Try this. Create a new user and try switching to that user.

Be aware that SP2 upped the security levels and given that multiple logins can present new security issues, troubleshooting this will be fun. If I was to dive into it, I'd have to be there to observe every nuance. That won't be happening and it's up to you to try switching between new users. Then between one old user and a new user, then the other user and hopefully you can sort out what each profile is doing to trip it up.

In closing, you will also learn how to use the EVENT VIEWER which is noted in Start, Help and Support to dig for clues.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: SP2 - Problems switching users.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I created two new user accounts, one administrator and one limited. I tried switching to each, from one of my existing users with the same result of the flash to the blue screen and back to the user selection screen. I then logged off the old user and on to the new tester admin user ok. Next I tried switching users to the new tester limited user and to my old users, no help there.

I ran event viewer, this is new to me, and see the same error in the system section every time I try to switch users regardless of which combinition I'm trying to switch to.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: TermService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1036
Date: 9/4/04
Time: 9:24:59 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DIT
Description:
Terminal Server session creation failed. The relevant status code was 0xC0000037.

This means little to me, even though I was a CSE for Unisys for many years, I would have turned logs and dumps over to the software techs. However I am good at following directions and gathering information for those that have the skills and tools to interpret it and then executing the solution.

Thanks Dar.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: SP2 - Problems switching users.

While http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Terminal+Server+session+creation+failed%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=eBPkBGIJEHA.4016%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=11 at first doesn't seem to apply, if I dig into the SERVICES that are noted, the Terminal Server service may have been disabled or blocked with the new firewall going into place with SP2.

I'd double check the SERVICES.MSC (start, run that) to see if the service is running.

I'd also switch between like accounts. Switching from a lower capabiltity account to an admin account may trigger a new security issue.

I expect this issue to be discussed more as time goes on, but you can call Microsoft about it or wait for more to be written. As it stands, we disable this feature at the Office so I don't have a ready machine to look at it for awhile.

Be sure to look at www.eventid.net but be sure to check back in a week so more people report in.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.