Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 problem

by susien428 / January 17, 2006 4:19 AM PST

I reformatted my hard disk last week and decided I should add SP2 to my WinXP Home. Then my printer wouldn't work- couldn't install it even though it had already been installed and worked fine before Win XP 2. After hours of working with it, I finally decided to uninstall SP2 and the printer worked fine. A friend suggested tyrying again to install SP2 and may be that wouldn't happen again. This morning I installed SP2 again and again the printer wouldn't work. So I have removed SP2 and as far as I am concerned that is the end of it. Do you think the world will come to an end if I muddle along without SP2?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Printer won't work with SP2
by rob.linuxsympatico.ca / January 17, 2006 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: SP2 problem

You should go to the manufacturers website and download/install the latest driver (or sp2 patch) for your printer...

sp2 won't be optional forever ...

Rob

Collapse -
SP2-printer
by pluto45 / January 17, 2006 11:22 PM PST

I agree with Rob. Sounds like you need to update your drivers. That's what I did and had no problem getting sp2 to work. I also upgraded any other peripherals I
have.

Collapse -
What is the make of the printer?
by Carol~ Moderator / January 17, 2006 8:17 AM PST

If my memory serves me correctly, when SP2 first came out, there was a conflict with the HP Laser Jet printer. (I don't know which model) I would think this issue would have been resolved by now, if it indeed it was an issue.

Did you try reinstalling the driver? And most importantly.. did you make the proper preparation before you installed SP2?

(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/russel_installsp2.mspx)

Will the world come to an end? I think not. Will it make life easier for you in the long run? I think so! (IMHO)

For what it's worth..
Carol

Collapse -
I agree with Carol
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 7:45 PM PST

The world probably won't come to an end if you do not upgrade to SP2, (But if it does perhaps we can blame you?).

But SP2 is such a major upgrade to Windows XP because it introduced more security features. Eventually Microsoft will cease supporting pre-SP2 Windows XP, although that won't happen for a while.

If you can visit the printer maker's web site, they should hold information about your printer and SP2.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
xp sp2
by Ricky Koski / January 17, 2006 6:39 PM PST

I have a lexmark printer with same problom after installing sp 2 printer stoped working still is down don,t know what im going to do with it. i guess not use it.

Collapse -
You need to check
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 7:40 PM PST
In reply to: xp sp2

on the Lexmark web site to see if your printer is compatable with SP2, and if so, download any updated drivers.

Mark

Collapse -
xp sp2
by Ricky Koski / January 17, 2006 6:44 PM PST

uninstalling sp2 is not that easy .that is a major move from upgrade on xp.

Collapse -
xp sp2
by susien428 / January 17, 2006 9:48 PM PST

I have installed the lastest driver for my Canon 1550 printer. Then installed sp2 for the third time. Same problem "printer spooler services not working"- hence no printer. I have now written to Canon and if they have an answer will let you know.

Collapse -
Check in the systen configuration utility
by retired / January 17, 2006 10:40 PM PST

Click Start, Run and type msconfig "Ok", click the Services tab find Print Spooler and see if it is Running, Post back.

Collapse -
SP2
by susien428 / January 18, 2006 7:03 AM PST

I wrote to day to Canon and they gave me excellent directions to get the printer spoolers services started. Went to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and checked for Plug and Play and Spooler Services. Got Spooler Services started and could print. But it won't stay started. I downloaded latest driver as Canon had outlined to do. No printer. Started Spooler Services again - disappeared again. So....I have uninstalled SP2 for the last time.I thank everyone who has tried to help- it is great to have people who are concerned!

Collapse -
sus.. one last comment..
by Carol~ Moderator / January 18, 2006 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: SP2

I understand you would like the use of your printer. That goes without saying. Having said that, as Rob mentioned in the beginning of this thread, SP1 will not be supported forever. You're going to have to deal with the problem sooner or later.

I can't stress enough, the advantages of having SP2. As a suggestion, I would try to find an answer sooner than later. (Easy for me to say) I would like to be able to provide you with the solution, but all I can do is stress the importance of continuing to try to find an answer.

Good luck to you..
Carol

Collapse -
Check this
by Fish / January 17, 2006 10:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Adding Printers In XP
by gerrymar / January 17, 2006 10:53 PM PST

1. Click Start, Control Panel and click Printers and Faxes.
2. Under the list of Printer Tasks, click Add a printer. This launches the Add Printer Wizard.
3. Click Next.
4. Verify that Local printer attached to this computer is selected. Click Next.
5. Use the drop down arrow to select the port. Click Next.
6. Select the Manufacturer of your printer and the model. Click Next. If your printer is not listed, click the Have Disk button. You'll need to locate the manufacturer-supplied drivers on your computer or disk.
7. Type in a name for the printer. This is the name that will appear under the printer icon in the Printers and Faxes folder. Click Next.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!