Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 Installed, and loss of internet connection

by boombatty / September 21, 2004 8:42 AM PDT

Several times I have installed XP SP2, and several times been forced to remove it because I have not been able to connect to the internet. I'm connecting using a Linksys USB2.0 10/100 ethernet adapter and BEFW11S4 Wireless router. The computer is a Dell 4300S, 1.6 GHz P4, 640 MB RAM, 20 GB and a 6 GB HD. After several days with the previous installations of SP2 I have lost the internet connection, and got an IP address with more than just the usual 12 digits. Is there anyway to keep the connection from being corrupted beyond the 3rd or 4th day? Also, anyone have any clue why the other computer connected to the router can't connect when mine goes offline?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 Installed, and loss of internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 Installed, and loss of internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 Installed, and loss of internet connection for ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2004 9:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
by boombatty / September 23, 2004 11:32 PM PDT

Unfortunately the second link you gave me only refers to USB storage devices, it does not mention USB network devices. The problem seems to be with my router. I get a message after a few days saying "Loss of Connectivity." My computer can't detect enough of a signal coming from the cable modem. Right now I have the computer connected directly to the cable modem, and there's no problem except for the fact that I had to disconnect the other computer from the net. The router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 V.4. Any ideas about any hidden quirks that may prevent SP2 from addressing it properly?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2004 11:52 PM PDT

Actually I used both links to cure a machine. I gave the account more rights and it works. Some will want "spot-on" articles from Microsoft about these issues but such is not happening. We get to take an article about USB issues and use it to fix an USB ethernet problem.

If you feel this is wrong, feel free to tell Microsoft, but I just roll with the information and sort it out and... try to help others understand it a bit.

As to quirks, here's one. Microsoft may offer drivers on Windows Updates that cause machines to behave badly. Often I read/hear it's SP2, but many will not distinguish SP2 from other Windows Update items. It's a fine line to some that is hard to see. In short, the machine's owners get to update BIOS and drivers from each maker's web site.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.