HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 INSTALL FINE-UPDATE TO SP2-NOT SO FINE

by f1luc / October 29, 2004 1:09 AM PDT

I have previously installed sp2 with no problems. However, on October 14 I downloaded a critical update to SP2 from Microsoft update. Around that time, everytime I restart or boot up pc, I get the Windows Product Activation. It requires me to activate (or I can't get past the welcome screen), which I do (successfully-as always)and can move on with no problems. However, next time I restart or reboot..again it wants me to activate Windows. I am currently working with the Research department at Microsoft, but they have yet to come up with a solution. I cannot uninstall this update without removing the entire SP2 update..anyone else with this problem, or can help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 INSTALL FINE-UPDATE TO SP2-NOT SO FINE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 INSTALL FINE-UPDATE TO SP2-NOT SO FINE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 INSTALL FINE-UPDATE TO SP2-NOT SO FINE
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

I think we would need more info to try and help you. Try going to Windows Update and "view installation history" and give us a clue as to exactly which update you are having the problem with. It might be a coincidence also or you might have gotten some spyware since the time you installed SP2.

Collapse -
by f1luc / October 29, 2004 2:17 AM PDT

I did go to view and came up with 2-KB834707 and KB885884 (even though I only remember installing one critical update). I really don't know if this is the problem, just guessing. I am wary of removing the entire sp2 package, but I'm thinking of doing it to confirm if this is prob or not. I bought pc in March which came with the xp installed and have not touched the cd. MS had me go into registry and change a few files, but to no avail. I run windows washer, ad aware and spybot at least twice a week. Thanx for your help.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 3:34 AM PDT

The KB885884 was a critical Office Update for ONLY those that had the programs in question. You can read more about it here. There looks like there were some issues although I don't know if they are the same as what you are experiencing. IF you didn't have these programs, then you didn't need it at all.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885884

The KB834707 was a critical update for security reasons for everyone. You can read more about that one here.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834707

You may have already covered all this with Microsoft but if not, it will give you something else to ponder on.

Good luck

Collapse -
by Mailman / October 29, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

Sometimes it's as simple as "Restore System" to just before the problem began.

~Dave

Collapse -
Re: SP2 Install Fine-Update to SP2-Not So Fine
by f1luc / October 29, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

Thanx for your assistance..I am keeping the Restore as a kind of last minute rescue option..hoping to resolve without doing this (I have no idea what date to use, I'm one of those that keep my computer running for extended periods). I do know for sure, that the initial SP2 install did not immediately create this problem. I must note that any time I have attempted to use Restore in past..(not very often), it has not resolved my issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.