Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 - How do I know if its downloading?

In anticipation of SP2 I set my computer to auto update to download. This morning a systray icon popped up, to confirm it was available. Nevertheless, it doesn't seem to be making its way down the pipe to my machine. I've looked at the Zone Alarm icon on the systray and it occassionally blips - but seems to be when downloading e-mail. Also went to the "auto update" manager and set the clock so that the installer would kick in, but nothing.

In the past when I've downloaded updates, i seem to remember there being a systray icon that shows the percentage of a file that's been transferred to the machine, but this doesn't even show.

Is SP2 set to download without any way to monitor its progress? Is there something I can do to see whether anything's yet started to download and how much?

Thanks,

Gus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 - How do I know if its downloading?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 - How do I know if its downloading?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 - How do I know if its downloading?

In reply to: SP2 - How do I know if its downloading?

I'm having this same problem and just posted almost the same question above before seeing this post.

I think the Service Pack 2 is not ready yet even though the Auto update said it was?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: SP2 - How do I know if its downloading?

Same problem here! Im gonna wait.Important to get SP2 just not right now..

Collapse -

You can read the procedure for Downloading available updates.

I didn't see SP2 as available download for end-users (checked three times today). You can check again by clicking windows update link from start menu.

However, it can be manually downloaded (info and the direct link) were already posted in this Forum.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

I've had my PC turned on all day (while I was at work-over 8 hrs daily for the last 2 days) and have yet to see anything. I set my Auto-updates to "download automatically, but notify me to install". Today I changes the auto settings to auto-auto. That didn't make any difference, so I changed it back.
There must be some way to find out if I am getting anything, OR why I am not getting anything?
The reason I am concerned is because I have done all the maintenance and backups, which took several hours. By tomorrow, I'll have to backup everything all over again. I just want to get it over with.
Any ideas?

Collapse -

It seems as though it doesn't ask you before installing. I technically have SP2 in the Add/Remove Programs list, and I have the new Windows Updates look and all, but no pop-up blocker in IE, and in My Computer>Properties, it's listed as SP1. Did get a partial SP2 or something? Also, I did restart the computer after about 2 hours after it started downloading (I have Comcast Cable, so it should have been done by then). Could that be why it seems partial? Should I try uninstalling SP2 in the Programs list and then reinstalling it via Windows Update?

Collapse -

I have XP home, and I have left my computer on for a whole day already, but still no SP2. Probably there's a line-up or something, and we have to wait for the next available download. Technically, there should be some kind of an icon on the bottom right hand corner telling that a "package" (not necessarily SP2) is ready for download. But if you want SP2 BAD then you can always download the full version on the Microsoft website.

Collapse -

Spotteddog - I've had exactly the same experience, turning on auto-auto and download/confirm...but still nothing. After I looked at a page (I think mentioned by Cetin) for a manual download, but that version appears to be for large-scale network installs, rather than single versions of XP Home. It mentions another page for XP Home, which doesn't offer a link to download it.

Bobo - Do you have a link for XP Home SP2? Have looked but can't find.
Thanks,
Gus

Collapse -
Drizzle download ?

1. I have received another info from a different source that confirms your story:

Microsoft started [18 August] enabling users running Windows XP Home Edition to "drizzle download" Service Pack 2 via Automatic Updates. XP SP2 will download over time to XP Home users who've enabled Automatic Updates.

The Automatic Updates version of SP2 is based on the code for the express installer ?Only the bits you need will be downloaded, so the download size will vary from machine to machine.

2. The full network installer (about 272 MB) is common for either XP Home and XP Pro, so I don't think that there is a separate version for XH Home.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

Collapse -

Microsoft has set up a block so you cant auto download sp2....you HAVE to go to microsoft update and manually download it

Collapse -

Thanks to all of you for the info. Fingers crossed it will come through the pipe before too long!
Gus

Collapse -

It is a painfully slow process. I have auto-update and when i put my cursur on the icon it showed a % but it took almost an hour and I have a 3meg down line !It never takes that long unless its a massive file. I cant imagine how long a dial-up would take !When it finished I was asked to check and then install. Then I had to restart. It opens with all the new options(firewall etc...)I like it ! You just have to give it time.

Collapse -

Is there a problem if you restart while it's updating? Or will it just stop where it is and resume next time the computer's turned on?

Collapse -
Finally, it's downloading

This morning noticed it's finally starting to download on my machine (the windows update icon in the systray is currently showing 44% has downloaded).

Best of luck to you if you're still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...

Gus

Collapse -
Re: Finally, it's downloading

In reply to: Finally, it's downloading

It started for me too. Woot woot!

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Finally, it's downloading

Soit's safe to turn your comp off for the night and on again in the morning if you're in the middle of apparently downloading? I'm on XP Pro and got the auto update, but there's no icon in the taskbar to say that it is downloading. I'm assumming from what everyone else has been saying that it will just automaticly resume next time the computer isstarted up?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Finally, it's downloading

It will automatically start when it needs to. It's safe to turn off your computer while it does it.

I'm happy to say that I now have SP2 and it's working fine (I have ICF turned off though).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.