Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 Hot fixes shown in add remove programs

I just noticed A large number of Hot fixes with (SP2) after them. One says see Q329115 for details. That was Nov 2002. I've never seen them listed before. I went to windows update and it shows I still need to install SP2. What gives here, they weren't there before? What am I missing? I have a list of other updates without SP2 which is normal. Just curious how that happened.

I'm in no hurry to install SP2 but it looks like it's there. I'm confused.

Rod

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 Hot fixes shown in add remove programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 Hot fixes shown in add remove programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 Hot fixes shown in add remove programs

In reply to: SP2 Hot fixes shown in add remove programs

Well Rod, I just received the free SP-2 CD that I online ordered (Aug 25) from MS this afternoon (Sep 1). Installed it with no problems on my dial up, took total of 42 minutes which is a lot better than the 4 hours, 22 minutes predicted for dialup. I had noticed a day or so ago that in Add/Remove I also had three mystery Hot Fix SP2 with Q numbers along with a slew of SP1 updates/fixes. Knowing I didn't download SP2 I just ignored the SP2 entries thinking somehow MS downloaded them when I last downloaded something from Windows Update.

Well, checked Add/Remove after installation of SP2 and all the previous SP2 Hotfixes as well as the SP1 posts and other windows fixes were completely gone. The only thing now listed under Windows is:
"Windows XP Service Pack 2"

So, don't sweat it anymore. Happy
For a neat clean install I would suggest using the CD.

Collapse -

Just curious how that happened?.I'm in no hurry to install SP2 but it looks like it's there. I'm confused.

The answer is simple. The hotfixes naming was undisciplined. There is a new naming convention which should be more consistent for those that will be realeased after SP2.

So, taking your example: Q329115_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe is a hotfix for SP1 with bad name.

In short: you have bad named hotfixes (not your fault) and you don't have the windows XP SP2 installed.

John's message describes how he installed SP2 and what's now in Add/Remove Programs after Sp2 installation. In addition, the hotfixes' uninstall folders which you have now, are still present after SP2 installation. For details, read this thread.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot
Collapse -

Thanks guys, for the explanation. It makes sense that the files will be gone or rather hidden in this case if I read correct. For a minute there, I thought I lost my marbles.

Rod

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.