Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 drivers auto?

I am a little confused about how to set the auto update for sp2. Reading in a lot of different places it looks like if I put it in auto download and auto install it will also do drivers and I do not want this. Is this true or will it give you a chance to decline the drivers or should I set it to notify to download and notify to install, this reads like it will give you a chance to decline the drivers. Please get me straight before I turn it on. I would think auto download auto install will be easier for a novice like me but not if drivers come with it, I have read that Microsoft driver should be avoided. Thanks sly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 drivers auto?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 drivers auto?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 drivers auto?

In reply to: SP2 drivers auto?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: SP2 drivers auto?

Ok I went to that link but that reads like once I have sp2. I have sp1, so if I go to control panel and select auto update and mark automatic which says it will auto download and install will that download and auto install drivers? Help I am still confused. sly

Collapse -

I've yet to set SP2 include drivers. If you don't take advantage of the settings, then you may fetch drivers in the future. But I can't tell if drivers will be fetched on your machine because I've yet to find two machines set the same.

I'm waiting for windows update to see what the defaults are on a few machines.

Bob

Collapse -

I have been doing a search on google and find I am still confused. I find of lots of places that seems to indicate that setting windows update under control panel to automatic download and install will give you drivers but to set it to notify of updates and tell it to install, cannot remember the exact wording, will not give the complete sp2. I just want to be sure what setting to put windows update on. Thanks sly

Collapse -

Here's what I see at issue. You don't have SP2 so you can't see firsthand the option to fetch drivers or not.

Is that your issue?

Bob

Collapse -

Yes I have only sp1 and I do not see an option for drivers, I am speaking of windows update within the control panel. I only have the options on how to download as automatic download and install or the notify me of updates and let me tell it when to install. Since I do not see any option for driver I want to know if the automatic download and automatic install, the recommended option, does it do drivers. I have found some sites that read like it does. But I have found places that indicate this is only critical updates or the service pack. I want to know is the automatic setting safe for me since I do not want Microsoft drivers, that is what I should do, right? thanks sly

Collapse -

I think you are comparing SP1 with what you'll see after you install SP2. I can see why you don't want the drivers. I don't use them either.

Bob

Collapse -

Sly, do you really have any choice? Seems to me sooner or later you will download SP-2. I doubt Microsoft will be giving you anything you do not need. If it was me I would stop fretting and just download it. I think it will automatically do what needs to be done... of course I could be wrong but the alternative for a novice is not very promising.

Best of luck!

Glenn

Collapse -

OK, I will set to automatic download and install tomorrow morning and see what happens. Unless someone gives me a reason not to. I guess I must be talking about what I will see after I get sp2, I have got this feeling from some of what I have read. And as you say auto should give me what I need. Thanks and wish me luck. sly

Collapse -

Hi Sly,

I also do not utilize the drivers from Windows Download. If you are that concerned, do like I'm going to do WAIT. I do not want Auto Download which seems to be the fastest right now for the ordinary Joe not on dial-up. MS will soon let manual downloads become available, gee this SP2 has been delayed time and again so what is the awful big rush. I plan on waiting for the CD and even wait a while longer then to see if bugs are worked out. Remember SP1, I waited long after release for the bugs to be worked out before downloading. Also, was never in a rush to download any of the IE SP updates, or version changes like 5.00 to 5.01 or 5.02, or 6.0 etc....because of the bugs initially.

JR

Collapse -
Re: SP2 drivers auto?You can turn it off!

In System Properties | Harware tab | Drivers | click the Windows Update button | check the radio button "Never search Windows Update for drivers".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.