Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP2 Download Problems

I go to the windows update site and click on the install link for SP2 and the normal windows show up. It downloads about a third of the way and then fails. Is there something wrong with the site or my computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP2 Download Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP2 Download Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP2 Download Problems

In reply to: SP2 Download Problems

I've tried downloading SP2 a few times by clicking on Tools>Windows Update in IE. I keep getting a "We're sorry. We have encountered a problem and must shut down. Try again later." or something like that. I continue on with what else I'm doing just fine though.
I use a cable internet connection.

Collapse -
Re: SP2 Download Problems/WAG

Delete your cache and try again.

Collapse -

Thats didnt help. Still fails on download.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: SP2 Download Problems

I have exactly the same problem. I have 4 computers - three work one just crashes IE 6.00 when you try to use windows update. The same machine will not access www.microsoft.com at all now but access other sites fine - the other computers can all connect fine - WEIRD

Collapse -

maybe free up some HD space? I would personally just download the whole 250mb installer (not the Automatic Updates "smartinstall" version) from fileplanet.

Collapse -
Yes, download full version...

And from Microsoft site only. Ordered free SP-2 CD online five days ago and received it today. Good service from Microsoft and postal service.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Yes, download full version...

In reply to: Yes, download full version...

bah... why only from microsoft? fileplanet (as a corporation) "legally" got access to the SP a week or so before everyone else, so they oh-so conveniently added it to their archives for download. I trust gamespy.

Collapse -
Solution Found

I solved this problem by downloading slimbrowser from www.flashpeak.com. I then deleted all Temporary Internet Files. I then searched for filename "hosts" including system folders and hidden files and folders. On finding the file open it with notepad and delete any line with www.microsoft.com and its ipaddress in it - looks like "207.46.249.90 www.microsoft.com". I had three lines to remove. Do not leave any spaces where the line is deleted. You might want to create a copy of the file before you do that for safety's sake though I didn't bother. Open slimbrowser and navigate to www.microsoft.com and then click the link to Windows XP SP2 and then the link to windows update just under the big button says "Turn on Automatic Updates for me". Do not use the windows update link in Start Programs as it will still crash.

Hope that helps guys.

Collapse -

i had probs downloadin sp2 but found out if ya remove windows update KB842773 and then re install it and then download sp2 it works fine

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.