Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP 2 - lots of issues

by z3sh8rain / October 9, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

I just installed SP2 for XP via auto update. These are the issues I am having so far.

1) lots of pictures in internet explorer are showing a red X instead of an image.

2) IE just seems slower - oddly enough I can't get to most of the support pages on microsoft.com to research this - it seems like my web browsing is being hurt by the update.

3) I can't download files from the internet (tried to download spybot so see if there is something wrong, tried to DL other files as well).

3) Yahoo! toolbad just sits there at ...attempting to retrieve buttons from Yahoo!

4) Starting up Windows seems to take longer.

The machine is a Dell 2.4Ghz, a relatively new box. I have not installed anything since SP2 installed. I ran AdAware to see if there is a conflict, there was nothing to take off the machine. I have Symantec desktop firewall running (v2.01) and I disabled the windows firewall.

I have a direct connection to the internet (no router) through cable... Please help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP 2 - lots of issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP 2 - lots of issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SP 2 - lots of issues
by skippy / October 9, 2004 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: SP 2 - lots of issues

Is your Internet security set at High? Lower it to Medium.

Collapse -
by z3sh8rain / October 10, 2004 1:18 AM PDT

IE Security is set to Medium

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 9:28 AM PDT

For most of those items, they don't affect me since I use Firefox or Mozilla.

Bob

Collapse -
by Brenda52 / October 9, 2004 3:06 PM PDT

I have just finished downloading SP2 and had no problems except needed to update some drivers. I have Yahoo and use it as my default browser.No problem there. Aslo no problem with IE. If you have Yahoo, try making it your default browser and see if that works.
Brenda

Collapse -
by nev rees / October 9, 2004 7:01 PM PDT

I too get the red letter "X" in boxes but don't get all the other problems....does someone know why this is?

Collapse -
by auggief / October 9, 2004 7:50 PM PDT

Red X. I solved this by going to tools/internet options/advanced. Scroll down to Multimedia and be sure there is a checkmark in "Show Pictures".
Also, after installing SP2, I get a bar on some websites that I have to click to authorize downloading of all graphics

Collapse -
by nev rees / October 23, 2004 6:59 PM PDT

Nope, no joy doing that either...I've still got the little "x" boxes.

Collapse -
by carolgar / October 9, 2004 9:27 PM PDT

I just installed SP2 for XP via auto update. These are the issues I am having so far.

1) lots of pictures in internet explorer are showing a red X instead of an image.

2) IE just seems slower - oddly enough I can't get to most of the support pages on microsoft.com to research this - it seems like my web browsing is being hurt by the update.

3) I can't download files from the internet (tried to download spybot so see if there is something wrong, tried to DL other files as well).

3) Yahoo! toolbad just sits there at ...attempting to retrieve buttons from Yahoo!

4) Starting up Windows seems to take longer.

I have some of the same problems as "Posted by: z3sh8rain Posted on: 10/09/2004 12:55 PM" above. I also get the message "Page can not Displyed" or "Page not abvaible" and the suggession is to check tools "internet options" nothing wrong there! Between these page messages and the white box with the red X I am about to lose it. I have called verizon, who I have my DSL through, they told me to call Microsoft. With MS after spending over an hour at $2.95 per minute I am told it is not a internet connection problem go to Gateway, who I purchased my computer from. I have tried repairing this error myself by searching for downloads and updates. I found all kinds of stuff, even found the baseline but, nothing to solve the IE problem. Oh I did find out that the problem is "Internet Exployer". Ican not find any way to resolve this problem.

I am using Win XP desktop, Pentium 4. Gateway manufactor. I am also using DSL through Verizon with an external modem model 2200 by Westell. If there is any solution please let me know also. Carolgar

Collapse -
by z3sh8rain / October 10, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

I uninstalled SP2 and everything is back to "normal"... I would use an alternate browser, but I develop websites and I have to use IE to test since over 90% of the hits to my sites are IE. I have FireFox which I like, but I need to solve the IE issue.

I saw a fix for the X thing with Outlook Express, but I can't find anything on the MS Knowledgebase about IE... this is sooooo frustrating Sad

I also get the message "Page can not Displyed" or "Page not abvaible" mostly on the MS support sites, now that I rolled back to before SP2 I don't get that error, at least now I can research the issue.... the thing that bugs me is that auto-update keeps popping up telling me it has updates to install - what an insult, I'll have to turn it off.

Collapse -
You still get to fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2004 1:26 AM PDT

Soon, new machines will all have SP2 and these owners will see Red X's at your web site.

It's a pain, but you'll have to figure out what broke.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: You still get to fix it.
by z3sh8rain / October 10, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

The real bummer is that MY website works fine, it's most other websites that don't (maybe 10% of the images on the site don't come up, just the place holder)... my site is done in php, I wonder if that has anything to do with it - it shouldn't, but you never know.

Collapse -
#12 if anything like CNET ''perhaps''
by Cursorcowboy / October 10, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

1. "What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2."

2. A "PCWorld" article discusses "Win XP SP2 Halts 15% of Systems, Survey Says."

3. "Windows XP Service Pack 2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

4. The article [Q811113] contains a list of the Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles which describe the fixes and updates contained in the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). In addition, the article [Q835935] describes the very important release notes for Service Pack 2 (SP2) and contains a list of Knowledge Base articles of known issues and other information not previously documented.

5. It is reported in the article [Q873161] that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you are prompted to restart the computer, the computer starts, but before you can log on, the computer begins to continuously restart. This problem occurs if you had a UMAX scanner driver installed on your computer and the resolution is to start the computer in Safe Mode, remove the UMAX driver, remove Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP2.

6. The article [Q839018] warns that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may not be able to send or to receive messages using the NET SEND command and occurs since the Messenger Service used to send messages is disabled by default on computers with Microsoft Windows XP SP2, and that it should not be enabled. Any programs or services that depend on either the disabled Alerter or Messenger services in Windows XP SP2 runs as expected but messages to communicate are not sent, [Q843021].
"Terminal Services" must be enabled to receive messages using "Net Send".

7. The article [Q884020] discusses the situation where after SP2 is installed, programs that connect to IP addresses outside the loopback address range other than 127.0.0.1 may not work and a fix must be downloaded and installed.

8. "You receive an "An error occurred while sending a message to <ComputerName>" error message when you run the net send command to send a message to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer (Q878468).

9.The article [Q837783] explains the hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2, [Q329260] describes the purpose of the three archive folders created when Service Pack 1 (SP1) was installed and which folders can safely be deleted, but I find nothing written by Microsoft concerning the SP2 folders -- perhaps not written but I assume the same process applies. The article "HOW TO: Remove the Service Pack Restore Files and Folders in Windows (Q290402)" written for W2K discusses the details of the Uninstall folder, but whether the exact same process is used in WinXP, I wouldn't know. For your reading pleasure -- unless you want to simply delete and see what happens down the road -- is "Guide for Installing and Deploying Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2" and the information written by "Alex Nichol, MS-MVP Windows XP."

Note: SP2 includes a built-in AutoRecovery feature that lets you recover from an interrupted or unsuccessful installation (Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs) and choose to uninstall the partial installation, [Q878455].

10. "How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer (Q875350.

11. "Your CD-RW drive is not recognized as a rewritable drive in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 [Q883523)."

12. After installing SP2, some programs may seem not to work, which by default, the Firewall is enabled and is blocking the unsolicited connection. The article [Q842242] discusses how to make an exception to enable a program to run as it did before by adding it to the list of exceptions.

13. Supplemental reading:

a. "The Help and Support Center does not run when the Data Execution Protection feature is turned on in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Q873258)."

b. "When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update (Q873169)."

c. "Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Q875357)."

d. "Detailed Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation walkthrough (Q875364)."

e. "How to turn on the Remote Desktop Sharing feature of Windows NetMeeting in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Q878451)."

1. Windows Security Center is a category listed in the Control Panel and the centralized location in WinXP SP2 that monitors the status of three major security functions in the background:

? The firewall

? Automatic Updates

? Virus detection.

2. By default, Windows checks to make sure that Automatic Updates is set to download and install security and other important updates automatically, and if turned off or if it is not set to the highest setting, Security Center provides recommendations to turn it on or to adjust Automatic Updates. If it detects a problem with any one of these, it displays an icon and balloon message in the notification area "Your computer might be at risk" (click to see a screen shot), [Q875349].

a. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center - a DWORD value:

? AntiVirusDisableNotify -- default numeric zero with possable values of a zero or one.

? FirewallDisableNotify -- ditto above

? UpdatesDisableNotify -- ditto above

b. Administrative Templates \System\ SecurityCenter

? Turn on SecurityCenter (computers in Windows domain only) -- default not configured but possible values are On and Off.

3. Supplemental reading:

a. "Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center (Q883792)."

b. "How to configure the Windows Firewall feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2(875356)."

c. "Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Q875357)."

Collapse -
by hckymom / October 10, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

The red shield with the X in it is the SP2 reminder icon that you have the firewall disabled, or
at least one of the security features isn't running. Try this: Open the Control Panel, double
click on the 'Security Center" icon, and when it opens select the option to disable the firewall.
Next, in that Firewall section, click on the "Recommendations" button, then place a CHECK mark
in the "I have a firewall solution that I monitor myself", then click on OK. Next, click on the
"Change the way Security Center alerts me" on the lower left part of the screen. When that opens,
UNCHECK all three boxes listed there. Click on OK and the system tray icons should disappear.
I copied and pasted these instructions from the XP Forum here before I installed SP2 and I have no problems at all.

Collapse -
by z3sh8rain / October 10, 2004 11:16 PM PDT

Thanks hckymom, but it didn't work. I uninstalled SP2 (again). Any other ideas?

Collapse -
by nev rees / October 23, 2004 6:52 PM PDT

This didn't work for me, I still have red "x"s

Collapse -
by drrunc / October 22, 2004 4:01 PM PDT

Wow, after reading all the responses to your post it amazes me. I , too, own a Dell and installed the SP2 on my Dell laptop and desktop, and boom, once I did, everything went slow as ever on me. I contacted DELL and they stated that a lot of Dell systems are crashing or having corruption after this install because of hardware and software incompatibility. Only advise from them was to attempt to uninstall and if don't work , I would have to format and start from scratch again. I uninstalled and for a couple of days everything was back to normal, now everything is back to not responding. Seems like DELL and SP2 don't mix too well. Let me know if you find anything else to solve your problems. I still haven't reformated because I am hoping I can find something else that works before having to do this as last resort. I don't have all the discs for the software on my computer so ............

Collapse -
by tinman1275 / October 23, 2004 1:39 PM PDT

I hope this will help someone, I just spent hours going through hell trying to get updates for sp2 on my mothers computer, none of the updates would work and I couldn't download anything either. All it turned out to be was when sp2 installed, it changed the system clock to the year 6054, and apparently that was enough to stop every download and update for the past 2 months! I hope the next person who has this problem will read this first and save themselves a lot of grief!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.