Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SP-2 installation from disc vs. download from Microsoft site

by dawillie / September 17, 2004 12:27 PM PDT

this may have been brought up before and if so, Mods please point me to the thread before locking this one.

Yesterday I tried to install SP-2 on my fully patched XP-Pro-SP-1.

I first closed all running programs using Enditall-2.

then started the run, using the disc I recd. in the mail from Microsoft.

The download was clean but the install hung about 10% into it, because Microsoft did not reecognise or find a path to vbc.exe.

after a couple of re-tries I cancelled whereupon SP-2 did an uninstall and left me with a message that 'Windows XP may not run properly'.

I went to Windows Update and downloaded and installed the SP-2 update.

Subsequently did an Erase of the unused portions of the drive, followed by ChekDisc and Defrag.

My two part question is,

what harm if any was caused by the disc install being aborted ?

is there some clean up I need to do, e.g. uninstall SP-2 altogether and re-download ?

thus far functionality seems OK although I thought or perhaps imagined a slight lag in speed.

Home User

XP-PRO

Athlon XP-2400 processor

768 MB RAM

behind a software firewall. KPF v. 2.1.5

and a router.

thank you.

david williams

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SP-2 installation from disc vs. download from Microsoft site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SP-2 installation from disc vs. download from Microsoft site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
if you are worried why dont you...
by AussiePete / September 17, 2004 12:48 PM PDT

i haven't installed sp2 as yet (and wont be for a while!!!) but, why dont you use a restore point - surely when u installed from CD a restore point was made????
Jut a suggestion
peter

Collapse -
Re: if you are worried why dont you...
by dawillie / September 17, 2004 3:24 PM PDT

thank you Pete.
i will look at that aspect.
point is I am troubled about the message I recd. when i cancelled the install.
will check back as well to see if others have had the same or similar problem and how they dealt with it.
thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: if you are worried why dont you...
by AussiePete / September 17, 2004 5:04 PM PDT

I understood your concerns and dont get me wrong as i think you are wise to be concerned.
however don't leave it too long as the restore point maybe lost. One thing you could try is running the "Base line Security Analyser" from microsoft. Also do a seach of the "MSKB" as well as "google" with the error message you got. Also try the new "google alert" program:-
http://www.google.com/alerts?q=Windows+XP+may+not+run+properly&hl=en

Peter

Collapse -
Re: SP-2 installation from disc vs. download from Microsoft
by jonah jones / September 17, 2004 6:12 PM PDT

vbc.exe 'should' be in C:\windows\servicepack\i386

assuming the CD was corrupt, but the download of ******ENU.exe from microsoft installed correctly, you should have no worries...

after the SP2 install, you should have seen something like a "windows is clearing up the mess caused by the install" announcement in the main install window...

Collapse -
by dawillie / September 18, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

Hi Jonah,
thanks.

no i did not see '"windows is clearing up the mess caused by the install" announcement in the main install window...' this message, but I did a restore back to the previous day where I had d/l WMP v.10.

this caused the reversal of that corrupt/ not so corrupt install.

then re-downloaded WMP.10 to create a new restore point.

tomorrow and with fingers crossed will download SP-2 from the site.
will post back if problems.
meantime thanks to you and Aussie.

Collapse -
by xcks / September 18, 2004 2:37 PM PDT

FOOL IE TO REPAIR IE INFO
Microsoft Windows XP won't allow you to uninstall Internet Explorer. How can you fix the browser or even reinstall the program if it becomes corrupt?

If you don't yet have the very latest Internet Explorer, you can fix many problems by visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and updating to the latest version.

If you're already up to date, however, the site won't let you reinstall the program. You need to fool the system into thinking you don't have the latest version.

Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}. In the right-hand pane, double-click on the DWORD value IsInstalled and change it from 1 to 0 (no matter whether you choose Decimal or Hexadecimal). Close REGEDIT and go to the Windows update site again. Now it should let you "update" IE and, with luck, fix the problems.

By the way, you can do the same thing if you need to repair Outlook Express, but at the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}.

Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?