HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum CRACKLING NOISE

by cbb2012 / September 16, 2009 9:14 PM PDT

I have had this sound card for a few years now and just recently it started acting up. Most often when I record, it has a crackling noise that is usually not audible until playback. This morning, however, the crackling was audible on the speakers but only when the computer first booted up. After trying a few test records the noise is still there in my recordings. I am looking to find out if anyone can provide any incite as to whether this is a sound card or motherboard issue. Keep in mind my motherboard is fairly old as well and I have done nothing to the computer recently to make tampering an issue. Any useful information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum CRACKLING NOISE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum CRACKLING NOISE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While you claim nothing has changed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2009 9:27 PM PDT

Machines do age. For example those Electrolytic Capacitors are all but a 5 year design and all it takes is for one in the right spot to age a bit too much (also called a failure.)

I've seen many claim nothing has changed but change is unavoidable. It's in the design and parts that eventually it will fail.

As this is the hardware forum I'll not suggest reloading the OS and drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by cbb2012 / September 17, 2009 12:15 PM PDT

I have no reason to believe that reloading the OS will make any difference...though I am not a PC technician, I am convinced it is my hardware that is failing. I appreciate the input. I am simply exploring every possible option before I commit to replacing the sound card. Does anyone know if I can replace just the PCI card and leave the interface on the front of the tower, or do I absolutely have to replace both?

Collapse -
Just my test. My acid test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I boot up Ubuntu (I run it from CD, not installing it) and listen there to sound out if the issue is hardware or software. Just another way to test.

Collapse -
I have the same card
by RobertGal / September 17, 2009 3:40 PM PDT

I feel your pain.

I have the same card with creative 5.1 digital sound system. Had the card for 4 years now and wonder how long it will be till I have the same problem as you are having.

<A HREF="http://www.google.com">google</a>
http://www.google.com

Collapse -
clicks
by rggva / February 20, 2010 3:18 AM PST

I have an older, lower cost Sound Blaster and have had clicks for years. I don't get the noise when using Windows Window Media or the CD player, just when listening to music off the internet (I don't have games).

I also use the Creative WaveStudio, so I can look at the clicks when I record the off line music. I can look closely because the software allows you to edit.

The click part of the noise lasts 0.003 seconds or less, but is very loud and is in both tracks. As part of the disruption, the right channel will go silent 0.01 seconds before the sound of the click. I have also found that even when I thought that there were no clicks, the music shows these disturbances, but they consist solely of lost sound. First, the right channel will go black, which again lasts for 0.01 seconds, then both channels will go blank, which lasts up to 0.003 seconds. Unfortunately, even when so short, the silences and shifting of tracks is noticable.

Sometimes the distrubances will not ocurr for an extended period of time, then, without any reason that I have been able to find, many will ocurr in rapid, seemingly random succession.

It is very annoying.

In the past, I have tried to change the situation, like moving from port to port, using different settings on all of the electronic and sound paths. I have found ways of increacing the number of disturbances, but no way of eleminating or really reducing them.

Collapse -
have had clicks for years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2010 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: clicks

Just wondering.

Is this the old VIA or Nvidia chipset issue? That one was pretty well known with the only cure to change motherboard.

Collapse -
CPU
by rggva / February 22, 2010 1:56 AM PST

I hope that I am not revealing my ignorance. My CPU is the AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+. I bought the computer in August, 2005 and the sound blaster within a few months.

Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
That CPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: CPU

Usually used the Via or Nvidia chipsets and the fix was to use some other sound card or change the motherboard. This is one for the history books but you could research this. As I recall there was never a true fix. Changing slots helped in some but not all machines.

Which is why I learned fast to change cards.
Bob

Collapse -
FIXED crackle problem 100% Its a small solder fix !
by compaid / March 30, 2014 3:01 AM PDT

I finally solved this terrible fault. March 2014

The audigy 2 crackling problem is caused by 4 faulty capacitors. Hold the board with the chips facing you. input skts to the left, gold edge connectors at the bottom.

You can see 4 tiny capacitors at the bottom right hand corner. These are too small to smooth the small power supply chips. The ripple is what causes the interference. You can prove this by pointing a hairdryer at this corner for a few secs whilst in your computer. If the sound improves then these are the culprit.The heat changes the capacitance a tiny amount.

You can either replace them with 50volt 100 uf electrolytic caps by removing them or carefully solder the new caps to the solder points on the rear. Make sure that the negative stripe is pointing the same way as the originals. Then glue them to rear of board with a glue gun making sure that the legs are insulated from everything.

Does it work-YOU BET IT DOES.

Mike

Collapse -
I didn't think it was a fault.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2014 3:11 AM PDT

The last time I saw this the card was past its prime. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Audigy pegs many to be over a decade old. So Electrolytic capacitors having a finite life span, this doesn't look like a defect to me but what we expect to see today.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.