PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Sound works sporadically

by ronalds173 / August 7, 2008 5:24 AM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio RS520 Desktop, P4 with 1.5GB memory, SoundMax sound card; OS: Windows XP_sp2. About a year ago I noticed that my sound would stop after running Photoshop. Recently, however, whenever I get the sound to play--usually after the initial bootup--if I turn off the sound playing program then try to play something again later it doesn't work. (Now it doesn't matter if I have Photoshop or any other program running.) I have checked the Device Manager when there is no sound, but it indicates no problems. I have gone to Sony's website and there is not a driver update. I am at a loss as to what the problem is or how to fix it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound works sporadically
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound works sporadically
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Audio issue
by Phil Crase / August 7, 2008 11:07 PM PDT

Are you using powered external speakers? Have you checked to see if it is a speaker issue?

Collapse -
Sound works sporadically
by ronalds173 / August 8, 2008 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio issue

Yes, I do have powered speakers but they seem to be working fine. The green light is always on so I know they're plugged in. I don't believe this is the problem since I get the "music" Windows plays when I shut down the computer, even though I can't get any music/sound when playing online radio, cd's or any programs containing sound tracks. And, as I first noted, the Device Manager shows that the drivers are loaded and working properly.

Collapse -
Sounds like a software issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 1:33 AM PDT

I wonder if you are using Windows Media Player. It's still an annoying thing with too many settings to check.

Let's try SIMPLE. Go get VLC PLAYER and play some .mp3. Now make the sound fail and run VLC PLAYER to play the .mp3 one more time. What happens?

Collapse -
Sounds like a software issue
by ronalds173 / August 8, 2008 2:41 AM PDT

Yes, I am using Windows Media Player 11. While I don't have any mp3's on cd--only cd's I bought some time ago, I'll get the VLC Player and try it. But, as I noted before, I have the same problem whenever I try to listen to any radio stations online too. However, I can't really remember whether they all use Media Player. I also have RealPlayer and QuickTime Player although I rarely use them.

I'll get back to you when I get this done. Thanks for the suggestion!

Collapse -
A recent post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

The member was playing CDs and suddenly all was silent. It turned out they didn't have the ANALOG CD AUDIO CABLE installed. There is setting in WMP for analog or digital CD playback. But the VLC PLAYER and one mp3 file could yield a clue.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like a software issue.
by ronalds173 / August 13, 2008 10:01 AM PDT

Sorry it took me so long but, I finally got the VLC Media Player installed and made an MP3 cd. The cd was playing on both my Windows Media Player 11 as well as the VLC Media Player earlier today, but now it won't. I don't know if this is significant or not, but I do see the graphics moving and the progress line moving as the songs are playing inspite of my not being able to hear anything--on either player. (At the risk of sounding dumb, VLC Media Player seems much more cumbersome to use than Windows Media Player.) Additionally, it seems to me that Windows Media Player used to open automatically whenever I put a music cd in my Fdrive--my hard drive is partitioned into C & D drives & my E drive is the RW drive.

Since these players seem to indicate that the music is playing, and the drivers is/are installed, something seems to be blocking the sound from coming through, but I can't figure it out. I should also note that when I FIRST discovered this problem, it appeared to happen ONLY after I would run either my Photoshop Elements 3, Photoshop Elements Starter Album 3 or Photoshop CS2. Later, it seemed to happen when I opened different programs but, unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what those other programs were. Today I just opened my Photoshop Album program to force the sound to stop.

Collapse -
If a reboot solves it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2008 10:20 AM PDT

That would be a fine clue. Sadly it's a deep software issue that I have tackled in the past with no definitive fix. I usually have to walk through the drivers, CODECs (but VLC PLAYER tells me it's not that) and watch out for MUTE settings.

Collapse -
If a reboot solves it.
by ronalds173 / August 13, 2008 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: If a reboot solves it.

I had thought about simply deleting Windows Media Player 11, and all the other players that I have, and then re-installing them. But the more I think about it the more I believe nothing is going to change since it seems to be something else on my computer that's causing this, which is why I am also contemplating reformatting my hard drive.

Collapse -
Which is the usual fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2008 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: If a reboot solves it.

Remember there is nothing in the posts that points me to anything specific. It could be a driver or a mute setting that kicks in when the other software ran.

The only item I've been able to remove from the list is "codec" since VLC PLAYER didn't sound.
Bob

Collapse -
Which is the usual fix
by ronalds173 / August 19, 2008 6:38 AM PDT

I just got an email from Adobe regarding Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac causing a similar problem. Although I have a PC, I am going to check their knowledge base to see if they are aware of a similar problem caused by their software on PC's. If there is nothing in their knowledge base, I have their phone number. This problem seems to have first started after reformatting my computer and reloading Photoshop Elements 3, and spreading to Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop Album 3. So, I figure I have nothing to lose. Thanks for your help with this!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?