Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sound problems...

Okay, complete computer illiterate here, and I was silly enough to play around with my PCs volume controls etcetera, to try and get rid of an annoying crackling sound in my daughter's World of Warcraft.

The crackling sound is still there AND now the sounds in some other programs (e.g notifications in Yahoo Messenger, and even some of the in-game sounds in WoW but not all of them!) are very VERY low compared to for example the normal Windows sounds, the WoW music and so on. Also, those sounds that are now played very low do sound a bit tinny.

I have no idea what I changed and didn't change back as I fiddled with the volume control options. I have not changed anything to do with the sound card, the loud speakers and so on.

Any sound experts out there who immediately know what I did wrong and how I can fix it to get those sounds back to normal?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound problems...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound problems...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried??

In reply to: Sound problems...

...Installing an updated audio driver for your audio card? If not, open Device Manager to find your audio card. Then visit the computer manufacturer's website to see if there is a newer driver for the card.. If not, then you should be able to visit the audio card manufacturer's website to find an updated driver as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you!

In reply to: Have You Tried??

That worked...
I was so sure it was some setting I'd messed up that the thought of updating the drivers never occurred to me. Thank you very much for suggesting I do that.
Everything seems back to normal AND the annoying crackling is gone too!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.