Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sound Problems

by andrewmilne / November 22, 2005 7:10 PM PST

Hello, I have a problem which I do not think is related to my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value, however as it is related to sound I figured that I could request help here.

Firstly, Computer Stats:
Operating System: Windows XP Proffesional (Service Pack 2)
Pentium 4, 2.93GHz
512MB of RAM
160GB Hard Drive
Network Adapter: Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card
Video Card: Radeon 128MB PCI-E
Speakers: Logitech X-5500D

On to the problem:
I bought Logitech X-5500D speakers, along with my Creative SB2 Value. Brought them home, set everything up and surely enough I had working sound.
After a few minutes a "blast" or loud bang occured, this continued to happen every few minutes from then on.
Immediately I figured it a problem with the speakers, and had them tested at the store which I bought them from. They figured there was no problem, but replaced them at my request.
I brought the new speakers home, set them up and surely enough the same problem occured.

I next tried detaching my Wireless Network Card to see if that was interfering, as I heard that could be the cause of pops and clicks. However pops and clicks are an extreme under statement when you are talking about the blasts that I get. Removing the wireless card did not help, the problem continued.

Next, I tried running Linux on my PC to see if the problem was Windows based. Linux did not solve the problem so I went back to Windows XP Pro SP2.

As a final resort, I replaced my SB Audigy 2 Value with a cheaper 5.1 sound card and yet the problem happened once more.

So I thought, maybe I have crossed wires on the back of the sub which sets up the speakers, had a look and tried some different things to no avail. I also have tried plugging the power cable for the speakers in to a seperate wall power supply, was of no help.

The speaker unit has multiple connection options, Direct, Optical and Coaxial. The sound only occurs on the Direct input so that brings me to the conclusion that the issue is not with the speakers.

Finally, it's not an issue with the hard-drive because throughout this ordeal, I had to replace my hard drive and yet the issue continued.

So it's brung me to wonder, is it possible for the issue to be with some of my hardware components in my computer? What would you suggest for me to fix the problem?

Cheers in advance for any help and suggestions,
Andrew.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a few more
by danthevan / November 22, 2005 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: Sound Problems

a few more details please: bios motherboard etc

also the versions of your audio drivers if poss

Collapse -
also
by danthevan / November 22, 2005 9:36 PM PST

it is very important to install the drivers before inserting the sound card for some reason with creative products

dan

Collapse -
Further Information
by andrewmilne / November 23, 2005 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: also

Unfortunately, as I said, it doesn't seem to be the sound card at all because the problem still occurs when I used a different soundcard of a different brand.

That brings me to the conclusion that it is not the soundcard drivers. Also, the sound card drivers can not be the issue as the problem existed on Linux too, which uses completely different drivers to Windows.

Please let me know how to acquire any further information you may require to help me out, eg. Bios.

Thankyou.

Collapse -
Any suggestions please?
by andrewmilne / November 24, 2005 9:37 PM PST

I am still in a situation of not knowing what to do, if anyone has any suggestions or can give me help so I can better explain my information and situation, please respond as soon as possible.

This is a really frustrating position to be in, and I appreciate any comments and advice.

Thankyou,
Andrew.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.