Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sound Problem issue

by wveersfan / March 11, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba M45 Series laptop. Here is a list of my sound program entries via "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager:

-Audio Codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Drivers
-Media Control Devices
-Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio
-Video Codecs

When I boot up and try to use a video or audio file, I get an error message that there is no sound available (that is a paraphrase of the error message).

I have tried many things but the 1 thing that works 100% of the time to allow me to have sound is to UNINSTALL the "Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio" device and reboot. It is the only one of the list above that will allow me to uninstall it. Upon rebooting, it sees the "new" component and offers to install the software for it (which, it should be noted, reads that it is NOT authorized for XP and asks me to cancel or continue anyway......I continue anyway).

After all of this, Everything works fine. But, what a P.I.T.A. to repeat these steps each time I use my pc.

I have added WMP 11, Nero 7 Ultimate, some codecs (mainly required for Nero) and a couple of video file conversion programs in the recent future and it seems like maybe Nero may be the problem by overriding my preinstalled Soundmax system. That's my guess, anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Problem issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Problem issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sound Problem
by Stan Chambers / March 11, 2007 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound Problem issue

Go to the Toshiba website to check for an updated driver for the sound card. If no new version is available, I would download and install a fresh copy of the same driver. Your current files could be corrupted, or it may be an hardware issue. You can always purchase an inexpensive soundblaster card and install in an empty pci slot.

Collapse -
Now sound
by cmmer31 / March 11, 2007 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound Problem issue

First right click your speaker Icon and open Volume control
and make sure your sound is not muted. Located on your lower right.
If you don't have a speaker Icon go to the Control Panel and check your sound.

Next try this:

Windows XP
See if your sound has been stopped in Services Under
Windows Audio.
Start - Control Panel - Open Administrative Tools - Open Component Services - Click Services (Local) and Scrowl down the list to Windows Audio to see if it says - Started. If stopped
Left click Windows Audio and click restart. -
Or
Right click Windows Audio - left click Properties - Left click Start

If still no sound next try this But be careful because your in the Registry and you can harm your computer.

Go to Start>Run, type in regedit and hit ok.

Navagate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound

"Beep" and "ExtendedSounds" should both be set to "yes" in order for the speakers to work.

If you still don't have any sound.

If the above doesn't work, go to control panel and open System Icon -

Hardware Tab - Device Manager - Click the + Plus sign for Sounds.......... -

Right click Realtek AC 97 or whatever sound system you have - Left click - Update Driver.

To update you will need the CD that came with your computer.

Keep in mind the above instructions are for Windows XP.

Maybe some of this will help or maybe not.

Collapse -
Reply to Sound Problem post
by wveersfan / March 12, 2007 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Now sound

Thanks for all your suggestions. It seems my original, which is the latest version, driver must have been corrupted, so I re-installed it and everything seems to be working fine now.

Installing Nero or some other video codec must have corrupted the original driver and kept it from working cinsistently.

Thanks again for your help!

wveersfan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.