Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sound Problem

by j4r3tt / December 24, 2008 12:30 AM PST

I have a HP Pavilion a1102, that i recently put in 2gb of ram, and a Radion 2400 video card. This was a few months ago. After installing my video card, and inserting my ram i decided to get Vista Ultimate. Once installing Vista, i realized my sound was very quiet. I went to Realtek's website and downloaded the latest vista drivers. No luck, the sound was still very low.

When i say low i mean the volume is very quiet. I went my computer, and tried adjusting all the volumes under the Sound settings, and nothing. I have messed around with the sound settings so much, and it all ends up in nothing working. Listing to music is quiet, youtube is quiet, gaming is quiet, everything is quiet.

The card is a Realtek ALC 880, and here is a link to my computer specs. Remember now i have Vista, a Radion 2400, and 2gb of ram.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00402425

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Sound Problem
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=1101435&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us shows only XP drivers. Yes you can search for other drivers and hope but my lesson is that a sound card is the real fix.

With 2 open PCI slots I'd get this card -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102027

And I'll share I had a bum onboard sound I just fixed up with this quick item -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CL-USCM2&cat=SND

Yes the second item did not list Vista but I plugged it in and Vista found the drivers (I did NOT supply it the CD!) and it works.
Bob
Collapse -
Try This First..I am HP Nut
by prose036 / December 24, 2008 3:41 AM PST

Being that you Upgraded from XP to Vista you probally no longer have the HP Detection Update for your drivers since your XP OS was preloaded and now you have an Upgrade to Vista..

HP Update and Windows Update are seperate entirely and HP Update recognizes your HP System in order to Update your HP Drivers to the prefered OS and keep Your HP PC running properly...

Also XP Hp Update and Vista HP Update are different...SO Goto
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-65606-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Download and Install HP Update For Vista and then run it...

Allow HP to automatically detect your devices......

If the driver and Sound Card does not work ..Let me ASAP...

I will get the HP driver Vista Upgrade update link for you on that driver.....

Let me know how this works ASAP....so I can get back to you ASAP

Although a new soundcard is a easy and EXPENSIVE Fix ..It is Not necessary unbless are going seriopuly High Tech and normal the HP Sound Device is just fine....I have mine hooked to my HD TV and it will blow you out from the HP Factory...

Collapse -
7 bucks is expensive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 3:47 AM PST

Sorry but I know times are rough but at what point are we calling this expensive?

Collapse -
Hey Bob...Regardless..
by prose036 / December 24, 2008 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: 7 bucks is expensive?

Good to see ya again..

Times are rough but nothing has confirmed that the soundcard has failed..... The HP Update for Vista should find and repair the problem itself....If not I have the Windows Vista 32 bit / 64 bit driver link for jt IF the HP Update fails to find and update his sound driver device "the ACL 880" and all of the HP devices not just the sound card will be updated if not I have the direct link for the soundcard but I would rather not post it since the HP Update should do it's job first....

To answer your question on Expensive, If a dollar is worth 75 cents, then it really takes a 1.25 with inflation..

Expensive is anything in today's economy that takes away from your paycheck including necessities....It's tough all over for almost everyone ;-}

What do you think?

Collapse -
I didn't see seven bucks, I saw 49.99
by prose036 / December 24, 2008 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: 7 bucks is expensive?

But still, if the updates don't work and the driver link does not load then buy one, but my experience with HP is not bad and why use the PCI slot for a sound card if the one jt has is just fine?

but maybe you should post that 7 buck sound card just in case he needs it If the HP Update does not find it and the this driver link that I will post if jt says HP Update does not resolve the issue itself....What do you say...

Collapse -
The first link was the 50 buck card
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:02 AM PST

And it's the right solution in my view. I picked up that second 7 dollar USB sound solution for simple reasons:

1. I own one.
2. I tested it on Vista.
3. I have a motherboard with a bum sound system that no Vista driver can be found.
4. It seemed to me that sharing such a similar problem and how I dealt with it cheaply might be appreciated.

Sorry if this was not welcome.
Bob

Collapse -
It is welcomed Bob...;-}
by prose036 / December 24, 2008 5:23 AM PST

Hey Bob...Merry Christmas...

All you advice is always welcomed...whether you know it or not, you have helped me a few times in the past..I just have a new email so I registered in a new username and it's been about a year since I was in here...

So merry christmas and jt may still need that 7 dollar card so if you have the link, I would post it..jt has not been back in here yet..

Collapse -
BTW...
by prose036 / December 24, 2008 5:26 AM PST

Why can't you find a driver for your soundcard on your mother board?

What motherboard do you have and what sound chipset?

Collapse -
The board is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: BTW...

Marked MK8M800 from Chaintech.
UPC 7 95745 00160 2

Yes there are drivers at Chaintech. These were all tried and we tried Everest as well. The board is now living well using that USB sound device and the onboard disabled and hot glue in the audio jacks for good measure.

Hopefully others will not lose much time over such a thing.
Bob

Collapse -
Sound
by j4r3tt / December 24, 2008 10:08 AM PST

I downloaded the updater, and it said no new updates could be found. Ugh..I think im just going to be buying a new sound card. Thanks for all the help though!

Collapse -
Link to your Driver for sound card...
by prose036 / December 25, 2008 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: Sound
Collapse -
JT...Correct Link HP Update Ultimate HP file sp40845.exe
by prose036 / December 24, 2008 4:48 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?