Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sound Oh My Sound..

by DigitalFrost / July 3, 2007 2:21 PM PDT

Hey,

Got a little sound problem here.

I reformatted my computer(WindowsXP) 2 days ago,And I got no sound anymore!

Thing is I dont have any sound card,I just use the Screen Speakers(So I just connect the wire from the Screen to the Comp,wich usually works) but now It dosent,My computer dosent even detect my headphones(I mean there no sound comming from it),Its pretty weird too cuz I went On ControlPanel==>System==>Device Manager and I got no Yellow "?"

Help plz ='(

~DF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Oh My Sound..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Oh My Sound..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Install the drivers
by jackson dougless / July 3, 2007 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Sound Oh My Sound..

You either have a sound card or an audio chipset in your system that needs drivers to function. Install them, and you will not be living in silence.

Collapse -
Rwply
by DigitalFrost / July 4, 2007 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Install the drivers

Hmm dont remember my dad installing any Sound Card ina PCI slot in the computer,But WinXP could detetc it right?How?

Collapse -
Onboard sound
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2007 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Rwply

Most motherboards will have some kind of onboard integrated sound. If yours did not have either that or an external sound card, you would not have been able to have heard any sound previously. But even with onboard sound Windows needs drivers to be able to use the device.

However Windows doesn't always do a good job with identifying which drivers are needed and we often have to find out for ourselves.

If you goto the Device Manager, (Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System, then Hardware tab, then Device Manager), is there any exclamation mark besides the entry for Sound? If so expand the entry by clicking the + sign, (it may already be expanded), and see what Sound you have. (Highlighting the Sound device, right clicking and selecting Properties will give more information). Then you can Google for drivers for that device.

That Properties window gives the option for updating the driver, but I wouldn't use that. Windows doesn't always make the best choice.

Mark

Collapse -
Take a look at that
by DigitalFrost / July 4, 2007 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Onboard sound
Collapse -
That PCI device could be your sound
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 4, 2007 7:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Take a look at that

There is no separate sound card under the Sound entry, so I bet the PCI device is your sound, although Googling PCI Device suggests it may be a chipset driver or video driver problem.

Is there any clue when you right click the device and select Properties? I somehow doubt there will be because it is "unknown".

I would download a utility called Everest to examine your system and give you a report of all the hardware and software it finds. http://www.lavalys.com/news.php?article=31&selcat=PR&lang=en
Install and start it. Then on the main window, select "Multimedia" from the left panel, then "PCI /PnP Audio". You should see your soundcard(s). Now you know what sound card(s) you got.

For the SM Bus Controller entry, what does it say when you right click and select Properties? This may mean the motherboard is missing some drivers. You say your father installed Windows on this computer originally. Did he have a separate CD with all the drivers on it? Is he available to ask? The site below may help;
http://articles.networktechs.com/114-p1.php

It may be that fixing this will solve the onboard sound problem.

The Everest utility may even help for the SM Bus Controller problem.

I hope this helps a little.

Mark

Collapse -
Downloading
by DigitalFrost / July 5, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

I'm downloading ur Lavalys program,I'll let ya know the results ^_^

Collapse -
wouldnt it be easier if
by mark04276 / July 6, 2007 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloading

you give us the make and model of computer and we can look up the driver for you. It is definately a driver issue.
I thought you said in your first post you didnt have the yellow inside device manager?

Collapse -
Got It!Thx!
by DigitalFrost / July 7, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

Hey,

Thx Mark and all the one who helped me,the program Lavalys detected my sound driver,it was a Realtek ALC883^^I downloaded and all work fine now =D!

When I meant there was no Yellow "?" I meant any that were on the Sound section,it was actually called "PCI Device" wich had a Yellow "?"

Thanks Again,

~DigitalFrost

Collapse -
(NT) Well done. I'm glad you got it sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Got It!Thx!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?