Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Sound lag between TVs

by Angeline Booher / March 1, 2007 2:32 AM PST

I have 2 TVs with a digital cable box, one with just basic cable.

Usually the basic one in the kitchen and the digital one in this room are on. I've lived here for 4 years, and never had this before.

Say I walk from the kitchen to here, and the sound on this digital one lags 3 seconds (MS one, MS two, MS three) behind the basic TV. (I assume the picture must do the same.

I know that if this had been happening all of this time I would have noticed it. I don't know why this started about 2 weeks ago.

The cable company says this is normal re: basic versus those with digital boxes because the signal goes through the basic one first.

I'd like to know what you guys think.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound lag between TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound lag between TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My wife got Tivo
by Dragon / March 1, 2007 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sound lag between TVs

for the living room TV. There's a TV in the kitchen. The one in the kitchen connected to normal cable is a bit faster than the one with Tivo. Guess the latter is bounced off a satellite or something.

Collapse -
Maybe. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 1, 2007 9:10 AM PST

the digital one has to decode the data first and it takes longer?

Collapse -
And. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 1, 2007 9:12 AM PST
Collapse -
I think this is normal
by Steven Haninger / March 1, 2007 9:22 AM PST

but doubt you'll find the source of the delay. Of course the original signals are analog and need to be digitized and processed. If the feed was absolutely live, I suspect the difference would be less but, since there are tape delays and various methods of transmitting the signal types, I am not surprised they are out of sync. I have also had, in my own home, two PCs playing the same streaming data coming from the same cable to be a bit out of sync by a second or two. It seems odd as we think these signals which travel about the same speed as light....instantaneously to us...can be perceptibly different in their timing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.