Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Sound Icon in Task Tray Disappeared

by lyrical56 / November 5, 2005 1:23 AM PST

After HP Support had me remove stuff to speed up reboot (not my reason for contacting them), I now have no control from Task Tray for sound. (Won?t make mistake of using HP Help again, which is why I?m on these forums!)

MS Help says click ... ?place volume icon in taskbar notification area? but when I try to do that it says:

?Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. Use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.?

Well I?ve looked around and don?t see anything that looks like it might have to do with sound or sound icon.

A couple of my friends have this same problem and haven?t been able to fix it either! (Only one has HP but we all three have Windows XP, SP2). What?s the deal? Any suggestions/instructions as to what we can do to get this icon back on the taskbar?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Icon in Task Tray Disappeared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Icon in Task Tray Disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sound Icon in Task Tray Disappeared
by Tufenuf / November 5, 2005 1:53 AM PST

lyrical56, Go to the link below anf under the letter "V" scroll down to "Volume Control - The volume icon does not appear in the notification area (system tray)" where you'll find several possible fixes.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Link & Suggestions
by lyrical56 / November 5, 2005 2:45 AM PST

This info is just way too far over my newbie head... I'm afraid to try the things suggested on this site.

I really do appreciate your help. If I was braver or smarter, I might try, lol. But I have no access to any help if I happen to screw my computer up even further.

Guess I'll just have to live without the icon until I can get into a town that has computer folks. (I live 100 miles west of San Antonio, TX - out in the boonies!

Still thanks for the info and the effort to help.

Collapse -
Re: Link & Suggestions
by Tufenuf / November 5, 2005 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Link & Suggestions

lyrical56, Here's an easy solution for you. Go to the link below and download the sndvol32.exe and once you have sndvol32.exe downloaded, place it in your C:WINDOWS\system32 folder. Then go to control panel, and open up "sounds and audio devices" under the "volume" tab, check the box next to where it says "Place volume icon in the taskbar" click Apply/OK. I downloaded the file and it is the correct version for Windows XP. I also scanned it with my Antivirus program and it is clean and virus free.

http://www.relaxingsoftware.com/sndvol32.exe

Tufenuf

Collapse -
SOUND ICON PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
by lyrical56 / November 5, 2005 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Link & Suggestions

This member worked with me until I ''got'' it. Fixed my computer despite my inability to comprehend. I am WAY IMPRESSED. A true computer "gentleman" and genius! for sure.

The patience and expertise extended me is very much appreciated.

The sound icon being accessible was very important; there is an ill individual in my home that I don't want to disturb. The dogs BARK and BARK if there is sound coming from the computer in the evenings.

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lyrical56, Good job and Glad to help.
by Tufenuf / November 5, 2005 10:32 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.