Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Sound familiar?

by Ziks511 / February 5, 2006 10:44 AM PST

In common with Sartre and de Beauvoir, the great mass of Frenchmen indulged themselves heartily in the spectacle of political scandals as a part of the nation's pursuit of escapism. Hand in hand with this indulgence went a deep disgust and disillusion with politicians and government.... By 1934the reputation of politicians in France had sunk toa record low; but it was to sink still lower and with it [the effectiveness] of government. Constantly there was some new scandal [in one party or another] and, however distantly, some Minister [Secretary of some department] in what the cynics dubbed "the Republic of Pals" always seemed to be implicated. As Pertinax [political columnist of the period]pungently observed, French politicians had assumed the habit of "dealing with their country as if it were a [corporation going into Chapter 11 viz United Airlines].... A favorite insult with Parisian taxi drivers became "Espece de depute!! [Slimy Congressman]. The populace loathed the politicians; the politicians loathed each other."

From Alistair Horne's To Lose a Battle, a study of France's collapse in 1940.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound familiar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound familiar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Clinton Administration
by EdH / February 5, 2006 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Sound familiar?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Democrat dominated Congress.
by Kiddpeat / February 5, 2006 11:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Familiar
by marinetbryant / February 5, 2006 12:19 PM PST

Probably wrong but I think the latest polls show Congress with a lower approval rating than the President.

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Reminds me of Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush2
by Ziks511 / February 6, 2006 4:35 AM PST
Collapse -
political scandals...
by Dick White / February 6, 2006 6:12 AM PST

Though presidential scandals of the second half of the last century to the present were, by count, overwhelmingly Republican, the causal factor IMHO is not party affiliation. Rather, it is two-term incumbency. During that time, Clinton was the only two-term Democrat vs. 4 Republican double headers. It is not that one-term Presidents are purer of heart and deed, just that by the time anybody on the outside figures out the skunky stuff, they've already left office so it doesn't really matter anymore. The dirt usually doesn't come out in first term but is the first-term shenanigans are often basis for the second-term inquisitions.

dw

Collapse -
Doesn't remind me of any president at all
by Steven Haninger / February 6, 2006 6:34 AM PST

but of the two major parties both running cut throat business operations which have lost focus on serving their customers. It's a game of power and survival. They groom their champions by making certain they are pitted against weaker opponents until the time is right and the victory is more certain. They sacrifice their weaker players when defeat is felt to be certain and don't even bother to clean up the blood. Those who are allowed to rise are still kept on a tether. If they dare to gnaw at it, they may never work again. I'd say it's our two parties that are the biggest barriers to real success...but presidents also get to shoulder most of the blame for what does not work as hoped. In their defense, some presidents are faced with very difficult challenges...the most difficult I feel is those that affect the stronger emotions of the people. Wartime has to be about as tough as it gets. Some get to clean up and and try to heal after war. Some actually have a vision. In your mix of names all three of these challenges have been faced. IMO, most has gone well though we come though with a few scars. What I'd like to feel is that the American people still know best which candidates fielded by the two parties are best for that specific time and the work that needs to be done. Sometimes it's just a choice of picking which will do the least harm. We do that quite well too. Wink

Collapse -
I agree. To add:
by Angeline Booher / February 6, 2006 7:29 AM PST

There have been "scandals", at least claimed, from the get go, as well as whispers, rumors, and scathing articles and headlines. (It's interesting to go back and read about them.)

But more recently, what are truly scandalous can be in the eye of the beholder.

Campaigns have changed. Dirt-digging is the name of the game. I find it embarrassing. IMO, that is why the best men won't run.

Being a president is a thankless job, and a very difficult and complex one. I actually recall when the country, for the most part, stood behind who was elected, regardless of whether or not they voted for him. We saw some statesmen ship in Congress. The House lost that not long ago, and the Senate is on the verge. Attempts at compromise don't sit well. The country is very divided. ("United we stand, divided we fall.")

I know I sound pessimistic. But as the next election approaches, I just see more of the same about potential candidates.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it's just a cheap shot by you know who
by duckman / February 6, 2006 9:26 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.