Question

Sound driver update problem

I have a Gateway NV59C laptop and the stock audio driver has amazing sound quality (after I adjusted the enhancements and such). However, I don't have a Line In option. I only have my built in microphone (I have checked the Show Disabled and Disconnected devices box). However, when I update the driver, I have the Line In option, but the sound quality is lessened because I don't have the option for a bass boost which is the main reason my output sound sounds so great through my headphones. Is there any way that I can have the stock enhancements (such as bass boost and loudness equalization) as well as having the Line In feature?

*By line in, I mean the option to record the sound coming out of my speakers and headphones.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sound driver update problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sound driver update problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Is adding a line in an option?
- Collapse -
Not sure how to add a line in

I can use the built-in mic on both drivers, it's just the Line In (I think it's called the Stereo Mix) that doesn't show up now. Is there anyway that I can add the Stereo Mix?

And as far as I can tell, it doesn't have 7.1 burned into it.

- Collapse -
Supplied a link about how some do that.

If you are writing it used to work then you restore the machine to the day it was fine if there is no help in using the controls.
Bob

- Collapse -
It's not a matter of a system restore.

The Line In (Stereo Mix) won't show up until I upgrade the driver. However, if I do that, I lose the Bass Boost enhancement in the sound properties (which downgrades the sound quality). Is there any way to add the Stereo Mix or would I just have to pick one of the drivers and deal with it? Hopefully I can add a stereo mix because I'd hate to choose between the two.

- Collapse -
That helped.

You see this happen as drivers update. Features come and go and we get to make the choices. Sometimes you find someone that wants both and that's a dead end as we don't have source code to tweak or learn why things are the way they are.

To learn why you'll have to get that answer from those that issue this driver.
Bob

CNET Forums