Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sound Driver Problem Since Formatting And Installing XP Pro

Hello, I purchased an eMachines t3958 not long ago, which came installed with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. I recently reformatted, and installed Windows XP Pro as I needed several features it offered which home edition did not.
After reformatting, my sound no longer works. I've tried installing the drivers for my motherboard, as I have on-board audio, from the intel website. My motherboard is Intel Celeron D845GVSR, and ive tried the most recent drivers (Realtek AC97), but when installing the driver the computer hangs up on the file "RtlCPAPI.dll" and then it restarts the computer automatically. It does not finish installing the drivers, and in device manager it says the device has a problem. The device does have a yellow exclamation point next to it in device manager, seemingly having a conflict.
I ran msinfo32, and it showed a sharing/conflict between the audio and SMBus controller, as they both use IRQ 3. I tried disabling the SMBus controller, but still couldn't install the drivers successfully. Next, I went into the BIOS and disabled all features except for the audio, and still could not install the drivers.
Also, I do not have a restore cd which contains the driver, though I feel this problem is more related to the conflict issue than the driver files.
I am unable to change the IRQ setting for the audio and the SMBus controller, so is there anything I could do to resolve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Either post here please, or email me at hazeyfaze@hotmail.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound Driver Problem Since Formatting And Installing XP Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound Driver Problem Since Formatting And Installing XP Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The easiest upgrade.

In reply to: Sound Driver Problem Since Formatting And Installing XP Pro

Use the machines Restore CDs then use your XP Pro CD to upgrade the OS.

Bob

Collapse -
No Restore CD, and Doesn't Support Upgrade

In reply to: The easiest upgrade.

I attempted to upgrade from the original installation but it didn't allow me, it made me format and clean isntall. I was not provided with a Restore Cd. They only came with blank cd's in a restore pack, that inside suggested I create some restore cd's. I never opened the pack, assuming it WAS a restore CD, so didn't know that I was supposed to create my own cd's until after I'd formatted.

Collapse -
You gaffed it.

In reply to: No Restore CD, and Doesn't Support Upgrade

Those restore CDs could have the required drivers. The last time I did this, I just used those to get the drivers.

Sorry to hear that you'll have to slug it out with the maker now.

Next time? Make those CDs.

Bob

Collapse -
A solution.

In reply to: Sound Driver Problem Since Formatting And Installing XP Pro

Disable the onboard sound, install a sound card.

Bob

Collapse -
May Have To, But Maybe This Helps

In reply to: A solution.

I tried deleting the SMBus controller and the Audio controller, restarted to install them and after beginning installation of Realtek Audio Drivers I got the following blue screen of death:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is your first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xEEA32460, 0xF8989AA0, 0xF898979C) ***
*** portcls.sys - Address EEa3246D base at EEA32000, Datestamp 41107FB ***"

Collapse -
That's the missing motherboard drivers. Try..

In reply to: May Have To, But Maybe This Helps

Find AIDA32 and find out what chipset the machine is based on. Install the mothereboard drivers.

Remember that Microsoft doesn't do drivers...

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!