HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sound card not detected after XP reinstall

by migthegreek / October 17, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

I just used dban (http://dban.sourceforge.net) to wipe my hard drive of Vista, and have finally got XP working.

However, my sound card is not detected anymore. I know 100% it was working with Vista, but since the reinstall, all I get is a system beep and no sound card is listed anywhere in my system information > components.

In device manager, I have 3 question marks next to:

PCI Device
Unknown Device
USB 2.0 Camera

I wonder if any of these is the problem? I don't know what to do about them though, as I cannot get windows to successfully install the drivers from the disk, or find them anywhere else.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound card not detected after XP reinstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound card not detected after XP reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Xp does not contain. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 17, 2007 9:06 AM PDT

sound card drivers.

The PCI device is your sound card. You will need to find the drivers on line or on the sound card CD you've misplaced. Wink

The other two could be anything. Get the PC running with sound and holler back.

Collapse -
Drivers?
by migthegreek / October 18, 2007 8:00 AM PDT

The problem is I can't find the drivers. I didn't get a CD for sound card drivers, and Windows can't find the drivers.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Can't find drivers...
by Papa Echo / October 18, 2007 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers?

Is your computer a branded model ? If so, provide details. If the cound card was purchased separately, find the documentations or box, or physically examine the card for brand.model markings... If all fails, reinstall Vista, get the sound working, then download and run "Belarc Advisor", or go to "PC Pitstop" and run their scan... Get the model/brand of the sound card, then Google for the drivers. Bear in mind that the sound card may not have drivers for XP, for which you will then have to get a new card... .

Collapse -
It's a laptop
by migthegreek / October 18, 2007 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't find drivers...

I have a Rock Xtreme 770, the card was not purchased separately.

There is no way I am reinstalling Vista. It took 70 hours to get rid of it with dban and I have just finished all my customisation and installation of software.

Will it help to use Belarc Advisor now? Can it tell me anything useful if XP can't actually detect any sound card?

Collapse -
70 hours?
by BrianZachary / October 18, 2007 7:18 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a laptop

Why would it take 70 hours to remove Vista? Formatting a hard drive doesn't even take that long. My friend did it, but it didn't take nearly that long.

You can try Belarc Advisor to see what it detects. I don't see why it wouldn't detect the sound card even if the drivers for it aren't installed, but I don't know. Only one way to find out. It's worth a try anyway.

Collapse -
The task is...
by Papa Echo / October 18, 2007 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: 70 hours?

... to identify the sound card. Belarc advisor will do it for you, but I think you need the proper drivers installed, as otherwise, it may be identified as a generic soundcard (with a ?). Try PC Pitstop - try their "drivers scan" on your XP system to see which drivers need updating. You will be introduced to a "try first" program..., Or try THIS driver to see if it works, although it is for a Dell computer. Also take note of what "Driver detective" can do.

Collapse -
I don't know
by migthegreek / October 22, 2007 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: 70 hours?

Using DBAN it took 70 hours. My laptop was on for nearly 4 days, getting rid of Vista.

Collapse -
You Used DBAN Wrong...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2007 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't know

To simply wipe the drive for a reinstall of an operating system, you can select a different option in DBAN.. It should only take about an hour or two on an 80 GB HD.. Choose "Quick Erase" in the "Method" section prior to running DBAN.

Another note, if you have a dual-core processor, try using the older 1.06 version of DBAN instead of the newest 1.0.7.. It's faster for dual-core.

On the other hand, if you want a full DOD erase, then it's going to take a while..

Hope this helps in the future.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by migthegreek / October 18, 2007 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: i wish you luck

Realtek HD-Audio, 7.1 Channel. I'll try that, thanks.

Collapse -
You can also try
by PudgyOne / October 19, 2007 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.