General discussion

Sound card/NIC conflict

I installed an NIC recently on my Win98SE desktop to act as a gateway for an ad hoc wireless network. After some intitial problems, the network functions well. However, my onboard sound card seems to react badly to the new NIC. There is constant static, through which I can hear changes (pops, crackles) as I access the Internet or my LAN. The device manager reports both the sound card elements and the NIC are functioning normally and that there are no conflicts. The only IRQ I found in the device manager corresponded to an element of the sound card. It was on IRQ 5. I tried it on 7 and 9, rebooted each time, but without any change in the static problem.

I looked at the memory ranges of the sound card elements and the NIC but I'm not sure if they overlap or not. In any case, when I tried to access the manual "change settings" for the NIC, I got a warning message that it was not possible to modify the setting.

One other point: the volume icon has disappeared from the taskbar twice since I installed the NIC. I got it back by reinstalling the updated drivers for the sound card each time.

Should I continue along the IRQ/memory overlap route? or is there another possibility?

Would it be simplest to buy a new sound card (external?) and disable the onboard card?

Your advice much appreciated.

http://riabacon.blogspot.com

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sound card/NIC conflict
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sound card/NIC conflict
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you try moving the sound card to another slot?
- Collapse -
Can't move sound card

Thanks for getting back to me. As I wrote in my first post, the sound component (as far as I understand) is on the systemboard and is not removable.

- Collapse -
Add a sound card.

I've run into this before and know to disable the onboard sound and add the card rather than waste everyone's time futzing with flighty onboard sound systems.

Your choice.

Bob

- Collapse -
So buy a "real" sound card?

Bob,

Just to be clear, you are suggesting I buy a "real" sound card and then disable and ignore the onboard sound system, right? I guess that you figure the problem is with the onboard sound system rather than any conflict with something else. You understand that I don't want to buy something that may have the same problem as now.

If I buy a new card, is it wiser to get a USB external sound card? And finally, is there a particular one you would recommend for a Win98SE machine?

Thanks for your help, Bob.

- Collapse -
I've done that too many times.

As to having the same problem... It's windows. No one will give you any assurance that the issue will go away. But I think it will.

The USB Sound cards are a bad idea for most. Here's why. GAMERS will notice the lag. DVD owners may notice more skew in the audio lag.

As to what card I lean towards. The simple SB 16 PCI. And all the 10 buck cards we see littering the landscape if the buck is an issue. Just don't entertain any AUREAL based card.

Bob

- Collapse -
I'll let you know

Ok, Bob, that's clear enough. I'll get an SB PCI Win98SE compatible. Is disabling the onboard system a straightforward matter?

- Collapse -
For me? Yes.

I hope you understand what I mean by that. (wink, nod)

Bob

- Collapse -
Understand?

I thought I did ... but now I'm not so sure ...

- Collapse -
When people ask...

If I would have any problem, that doesn't mean they will not have a problem. It seems I do odd things like read the instructions, reboot an extra time or wipe out all spyware off a machine, and other things so I have a minimum of problems.

Another thing I've done is to remove all DOS based Windows from the office. It's never been smoother for us.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Ok Bob. Thanks for the advice. I'll post again if I have any problems with the new card and/or disabling the old system.

CNET Forums

Forum Info