PC Hardware forum

General discussion

sound card is under water

by frankzxcv / September 30, 2004 11:33 AM PDT

hello,

i just did a clean reinstall, abit kd7a mobo, soundblaster live! 5.1 win 2000,

but now my audio sounds like its underwater-- I think it's out of phase somehow.

I recall having this problem before but can't remember the fix!

creative labs site says my driver is up to date. any ideas on how to fix? thanks! fj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sound card is under water
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sound card is under water
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sound card is under water
by reefurbb / October 1, 2004 11:41 PM PDT

make sure you have all your chipset drivers that w2k may not have had. Via? Intel?

Collapse -
by larrybell / October 2, 2004 1:17 PM PDT

I agree with refurbb about reinstalling all the various motherboard chipset drivers. I think that most people forget to reinstall the motherboard drivers when they reformat a drive to reinstall the Operating System.

I my case, I know that one of the motherboard drivers is for sound, though possibly for the integrated sound on the motherboard.

Anyway, check to see if when you installed the drivers for your Soundblaster card, it installed any 'utilities' for the card. I'm thinking of utilities that allow you to 'shape' the sound for the room you are listening in. These different 'evironments' make the output from your speakers sound different for each environment (concert hall, living room, large room, etc).

I had a similar problem with my card, and I had a heck of a time getting the setting back to where I thought it should be, or where I thought it sounded best. You may have the same problem. Check START\Programs\ and look to see if there are programs related for your card. One might be a configuration utility program. Otherwise check in C:\program files\ to find a soundblaster folder, and check inside for anything that looks like a configuration utility program. Or third, check the driver CD that came with the sound card.

Hope it helps.
Good luck

Larry

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / October 2, 2004 3:58 PM PDT

Frankzxcv: Check in Device Manager to see if the version of the driver that is installed is the most current. Assuming that you have the latest drivers, you may want to try uninstalling from Device Manager, then reboot, letting XP reinstall the hardware. I've had to do this with other hardware in the past. Somehow drivers sometimes don't install properly.

Collapse -
fixed
by frankzxcv / October 5, 2004 3:32 PM PDT

thanks for the advice all,

I was using the driver that came with the card and the creative site has a software checker that told me my driver was up to date-- but it was wrong. I downloaded and installed the most recent driver and voila everything was fixed - fj

Collapse -
Re: fixed
by Stan Chambers / October 6, 2004 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: fixed

Frank: Glad to hear you solved the problem. It seems that all to often on a new install, that Windows will install some outdated version of the driver. When you check in Device Manager it says that the device is working properly, when in reality it may not. I've been in that circle before, myself.
Not a lot of fun, but a good learning experience.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?