Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sound and video goes too fast

by poogle1 / August 16, 2006 4:43 PM PDT

The sound and video on my computer play way too fast and I don't know how to fix it. The audio sounds like chipmunks whenever I try to play something normal. Please tell me how I can fix this problem. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sound and video goes too fast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sound and video goes too fast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information please...
by John.Wilkinson / August 16, 2006 4:54 PM PDT

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

In this case tell us about what you are playing, what software you are using to play the media, any information you can about your sound and video cards, what operating system you are running, and about any recent updates.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
More info here
by poogle1 / August 16, 2006 5:06 PM PDT

I am using windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service pack 4. No matter what sound or video program I use it always goes fast. I have an Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller - 2445 sound/video card. I'm not sure about updates. Thanks.

Collapse -
Possibly a problem...
by GeeBee / August 16, 2006 9:33 PM PDT

...with flash embedded video. Who knows without details of where and when it speeds up.

C/net's chipmunk video, is a good example of flash video gone into hyperdrive for some.

GB.

Collapse -
audio plays too fast
by sara2626 / June 19, 2009 1:01 AM PDT

audio plays too fast when viewing bbc i or anything with audio.... i am using a cybermaxx pcmt5 type mod mt103 which uses windows xp my address is beanosp@live.co.uk be gratefull if you can help cheers

Collapse -
And You've Tried The Suggestions In This Thread?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 19, 2009 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: audio plays too fast

Specifically, visit the computer manufacturer's website, then download and install the most recent audio driver for your computer. OR...visit the sound card manufacturer's website and do the same.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Actually I've solved this one dozens of times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 10:12 PM PDT

For me it has always been solved with latest motherboard and sound card drivers. Don't ask me how or why the makers of all this caused this issue or why Microsoft continues to have a disfunction Driver Update button.

Another member used http://reclock.free.fr/ instead but I have never used this as a solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Where can I find this
by poogle1 / August 17, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

Where can I get a working Driver Update. Thanks.

Collapse -
Microsoft has yet to deliver such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2006 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Where can I find this

Since "Driver Update", the button that Microsoft provides is flawed and no fix is in sight we have to fall back to the old way of downloading and installing such drivers like we have for years.

Bob

Collapse -
Free?
by poogle1 / August 17, 2006 6:42 AM PDT

Ok thanks. Do you know where I can get a free download of this driver?

Collapse -
May not know. Here's all I'ver been told.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2006 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Free?

"Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller - 2445 sound/video card."

I almost can bet this is some Dell, Gateway or other name machine. Maybe you can run BELARC ADVISOR to discover enough details.

intel.com has the motherboard driver package I would try. But details were not revealed so I'll decline looking farther than intel.com

Bob

Collapse -
meet us halfway
by linkit / August 17, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Free?

What everyone is trying to tell you is that you haven't told us enough abuout you computer. The easy place to start is by looking on the support/downloads page of your computer maker.

For example, if yours is a ''Dell Dimension 4400,'' we could tell you to get the driver from Dell.com. If we are really in a helpful mood, we could tell you to go to http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen for that example.

Collapse -
More info here
by poogle1 / August 19, 2006 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: meet us halfway

I have an IBM computer

Operating System
Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)
System Model
IBM 6578PAU
System Serial Number: 23VRL49
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a
867 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: IBM 6578PAU
Serial Number: YVYAMLWI3D0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: IBM PIKT36AUS 03/01/2002

Drives
20.41 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
8.18 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITEON CD-ROM LTN486S
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 20 [Hard drive] (20.42 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 052150122461, rev APL.0900, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 0' has 128 MB
Slot 'DIMM 1' has 128 MB

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.41 GB 8.18 GB free
Network Drives
None detected

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 244B
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Display
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [Display adapter]
Sony CPD-200GS [Monitor] (16.1"vis, s/n 8006108, November 1997)

Bus Adapters
Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

Multimedia
Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller - 2445

Communications
Motorola 3220 [Modem]
Motorola 3220 #2 [Modem]
Standard Modem

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Desktop Connection
primary Auto IP Address: 68.147.247.242 / 24
Gateway: 68.147.247.1
Dhcp Server: 64.59.135.150
Physical Address: 00:02:55:E6:3C:92
Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter

Networking Dns Servers: 64.59.135.143

Collapse -
Lenovo.com
by linkit / August 19, 2006 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: More info here

Note that Lenovo purchased IBM's PC division a while back, so you can find support for your system at Lenovo.com.

To download drivers and other software for your particular computer and operating system, click "Automatically detect my system" on this page:
http://www.ibm.com/products/finder/us/en/finders?pg=ddfinder

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.