PC Hardware forum

General discussion

sound and vibration

by ddbpack / September 29, 2005 5:56 PM PDT

help! i currently own a custom built pc from i buy power, had it for a year. my problem is when playing games the fan on the processor goes into high speed mode. and when it does it produces a ton of vibration and it also sound like an airplane taking off! is the fan bad? any replies can also be directed to me at ddbpack@aol.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sound and vibration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sound and vibration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
possible bad fan
by linkit / September 29, 2005 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: sound and vibration

Try this:
- check for obstructions
- use compressed air to clean heatsink/fan and system
- run computer with case open to confirm sound source

More info:
- fan size (80mm,90mm,92mm,120mm,etc.)
- fan rpm (low, high)
- cpu model
- cpu temps (low, high)
- system temps (low, high)

Collapse -
fan
by ddbpack / September 30, 2005 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: possible bad fan

i have an asus program that ive just run it says chasiis fan below threshold! temps id accurate are, 47 for cpu and 36 for mobo. ihave two fans internal one on side of case and power fan in back is working, though im not sure about how fast its supposed to run!

Collapse -
noise problem fixed?
by linkit / September 30, 2005 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: fan

Have you been able to find the source of your loud noise? Was it the CPU fan? Was there an obstruction (loose wire vibrating, maybe)? Was there a lot of dust in the machine and fans? Have you solved your noise problem?

Those temps could be good or they could be not so good.

About the 47*C CPU temperature:
- Is that the resting temp, or the temp after gaming?
- What is the CPU model? Intel P4 2.0MHz? Athlon 64 FX57?
- Care to share any data on fan speed (rpm)?

A typical 120mm case fan (the exact diamater of a CD) might run arount 1000-1500rpm. A typical CPU fan on a newer processor might run well above 2000rpm. Again, this depends on fan size and model. The bottom line is that you need to have your fan running fast enough that your CPU temperature is acceptable. Acceptable temperature depends on the CPU model. Try using a free fan/temperature utility from Download.com if you need one (SpeedFan, etc.)

Collapse -
noisy fan
by ddbpack / October 1, 2005 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: noise problem fixed?

(pcwell the ONLY time it gets noisy is when doing games, of course. wires look okay. needs to be (cleaned ) the whole pc! lots of cat hair!!! i havent gone out to get can of compressed aire yet, as ive been sick all week! was also wondering if i need to can i just replace fan? and will anything need to be replaced, with the fan being the exception, like haet strips etc?

Collapse -
change the fan if it is too noisy for you.
by linkit / October 2, 2005 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: noisy fan

If the CPU is cool enough, all you have to worry about is the noise. If you can take the noise, you're fine. If it bothers you, just change the fan to a quieter model. Replacing a computer fan is not uncommon. They all will fail at some point. The cheaper fans will fail sooner. Most heatsink and fan combinations allow you to replace the fan buy removing a few screws or clips.

The general rule for a quiet machine is to use the largest fans that fit. For example, a 120mm fan will move more air than a 80mm fan running at the same rpm and usually do it with less noise.

The model of heatsink you are using on the CPU governs what size fan you will be able to mount on it. When you are shopping for a new fan, the decibel (db) rating and the cubic feet per minute (cfm) rating are other factors to consider in adition to size and operating speeds.

Collapse -
addtional fan
by kelvin_c88 / September 29, 2005 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: sound and vibration

clean your CPU once in a blue moon or u can purchase addtional fan...about 8"....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?