Computer Help forum

General discussion

sould i replace my motherboard?? helo plzzzz

by rggovani / June 29, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

i have gateway 5082 media center desktop computer. with windows XP on it

and recently i had a problem where my computer would freeze in like 30 sec, it would boot from the cd or the hdd but it would freeze in 30sec. after putting my brains into extream test i finally found the problem, when ever there was a memory chip on the second slot the computer kept on freezing, if i removed it it would then work just fine. so i started using my computer with out a chip in the second memory slot( on the mother board) for about a week it worked just fine but some times a blue screen came up telling me "windows is shutting down to prevent damage on your computer AND SO on" now my computer would not let me open any external hdd or falsh drive, it would recognize it but not open it. now my computer just freezes and that blue screen would come up every 5 min.
i am sick of this i am planing to replace the mother board, i would it online for 79$$ you guys think i should replace the mother board??
if i plan to replace the mother board then do i need to buy any thing else or just the mother board?

( i am sure it is not a hdd problem because i tested the hdd on the other computer)
i do have a copy of windows XP and windows VISTA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sould i replace my motherboard?? helo plzzzz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sould i replace my motherboard?? helo plzzzz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't replace the mainboard yet.
by JESE91 / June 29, 2008 10:21 AM PDT

You don't want to replace your motherboard yet. Your motherboard may require dual-channel memory, in which case the two sticks are dependent on each other to function, if one of them is down the second one can't function. Another possibility is that the stick failed and your computer was left with too little memory to operate and hence the blue screens of death and the freezing.
In either case the best thing to do is to take the first stick to your local Fry's electronics and get another stick of memory, they'll help you match it with one that is compatible and if this doesn't take care of the problem you can always return it.

Collapse -
if it's the exact same mobo
by ramarc / June 29, 2008 11:15 AM PDT

then it might be worthwhile. but you need to do a bit more troubleshooting since a flaky power supply can cause the same issues. you really need to test the ram, the power supply, and the mobo otherwise you might me wasting your money replacing the wrong component(s).

Collapse -
ohh a new problem
by rggovani / June 29, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

my dad who is a engineer did test the power supply. he simply got a meter and he said there is a proper current flow so the power supply must be fine. altho i dont know if that is the real way to test a power supply.
( littel HISTORY- u had bought a monitor with this desktop, with in few months the monitor stoped woking, when ever i would turn on the power the screen would go blank in like 3 sec SO i bought a new monitor and with in few weeks the same problem SO i bought one more new monitor and in like 1.5 months the Same problem, i am thinking that this is a power problem. the computer i had before this also had a power supply failure, but i realized this after i bought this computer)
back to the current probem, i now have a new problem i can not run network setup wiz, when ever i click on it a window will pop up buy after some YES and NEXT it would close by itself.
and when ever i attach a external hdd or flash drive my computer will reconize it but when i go to my computer the double click on it, NOTHING happens

Collapse -
you can't fully test a power supply with a meter
by ramarc / June 30, 2008 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ohh a new problem

a power supply can pass a meter test and still be putting out bad current that is fluctuating or above/below spec. also, power supply's behavior changes as it warms up and as it's load changes. since you have a history of power problems, i suspect the power supply is flaky. swap it out with another power supply if you possible.

Collapse -
ok
by rggovani / June 30, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

i dont have a extra power supply but i think i will buy a new one or just replace from a computer that is working fine

Collapse -
ok i did some more test
by rggovani / July 1, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

ok so i got a power supply from a working computer and pluged it in this computer and turned on the computer and all i could see is blank screen, in fact there was no signal send to the monitor at all.
one thing i noticed is that the cpu fan keeps on running on high speed
when this computer was working fine the cpu fan would only turn on to high speed when the CPU is hot and for few sec when i turn on my computer, but when i installed the new power supply that fan kept on running on high speed.

second test
i installed the old power supply and turned on the computer, the computer turned on completely fine but i still had the freezing and then the blue screen problem.

third test
i exchanged the hard drive from a working computer and see if that worked. well the computer started and right before it was about to come the windows screen it restarted by itself. i tried to boot again and the same thing happened, but when i installed back the old hdd the computer booted just fine and i was able to get to the desktop but again i had the freezing and then the blue screen problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?