Laptops forum

General discussion

SOTEC 820P CMOS battery

by erslim / June 30, 2004 5:41 PM PDT

I have a Sotec 820P notebook and is really taking time in booting up. The time and date is messed up too. Anyway, I read that it could be the CMOS battery. The computer is out of warranty, so I want to find out step by step on how to replace this battery. How do I open up this notebook? Is it just unscrewing the bottom part? I have not opened up a notebook computer before...can somebody help me? Thanks in advance...

Enrique

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SOTEC 820P CMOS battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SOTEC 820P CMOS battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SOTEC 820P CMOS battery
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 11:02 PM PDT

If sotec didn't supply it with the machine, then maybe not.

I never bother with looking for a step by step. I pop up the keyboard if I can, look there, then unscrew any small covers to find the battery. Then off to Radio Shack, and install the new one. Best of luck,

bob

Collapse -
by tigertrack / July 21, 2004 11:00 AM PDT

To open the body, unscrew the screws on the bottom. Watch out for the touchpad wireit comes out easy. I'm not sure where the cmos battery is, but I'm having the exact same problems you're describing.

Let me know if you figure it out.

Collapse -
by cxy / July 24, 2004 6:08 AM PDT

It's really easy. On the underside of the computer is a panel with two vents on it (there are fans behind it). Unscrew the 3 screws holding the panel down. The battery is right there underneath and is easy to pop out and replace.

Collapse -
by RROGERS562 / November 11, 2004 3:12 AM PST

DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE I CAN GET AN ECONOMICAL RAM BATTERY FOR THE SOTEC 820P

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2004 3:24 AM PST

The CMOS battery runs from 2 to 20 bucks at Radio Shack. You save yourself abotu 100 bucks if you replace it yourself.

Bob

Collapse -
by leviathan / December 10, 2004 2:21 AM PST

Does anyone know where to get a replacement battery for the laptop itself. Mine died about a month out of warranty and I have not been able to purchase one from Averatec (formerly Sotec) ever since. First it was that they had been discontinued, then they were on order, then the people that make them couldn't get some chip that they needed to make them, then it was not being able to get in touch with sales. One thing after another for close to a year now and still no battery :(. Any help finding a source would be appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: SOTEC 820P CMOS battery?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2004 4:29 AM PST

If you mean the CMOS battery then I replace these all the time with whatever fits of the same voltage from various Radio Shack models.

However if you mean the main power battery, if you can't find such "on the internet" then look battery rebuilders.

And thanks for the tie-in from Sotec to Avertec. If this is true then it's sad to see Sotec trying to "try again" and shake off it's past history.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: SOTEC 820P CMOS battery?
by leviathan / December 10, 2004 12:09 PM PST

Well, when I call the toll free number in my original documentation, it says "Thank you for calling Averatec, formerly Sotec America." And it is the main battery I am looking for. Sotec (or Slowtec as I like to call them) has not been helpful at all in getting a replacement, and I cannot find anyone online who sells them. If anyone can recommend a good refurbisher, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Collapse -
This google to start with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2004 12:35 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: This google to start with.
by KenSanramon / December 10, 2004 1:46 PM PST

Wow, unmasking Averatec as formerly Sotec should open a lot of eyes. They did not really try to conceal it though by keeping the 'tec' at the end.........

Collapse -
Sotec 820p notebook
by gk646423 / February 11, 2005 1:17 AM PST

I bought this notebook (Sotec 820p) in Nov 2002 from Walmart.com. Honestly speaking I have been too disappointed with this purchase. First within 4-5 months, the notebook started taking 10 to 15 minutes to "wakeup" i.e. starting the POST after pressing the Power button. I thought the main battery had gone bad. I bought a new one from Sotec (Averatec) since 6 mth warranty had passed. No luck with this either. Sent in the notebook and received just after the 1 year warranty was over. It worked for another 1 month and the same problem started again. My brother figured out that the problem was with the CMOS battery mounted on the motherboard. He opened it and changed it. Started working fine. Aother 2-3 months same problem. Now the "new" main battery has died too.

Since then I have come across multiple reports about this Sotec 820p model notebooks with the same issue. Unfortunately, many people do not realize that the same company now sells products under the name Averatec.

All in all, a very poor product even though the configuration was very well priced when I bought the notebook. I would not recommend this to anybody since I use Dell and have never had so many problems with their Latitude models.

Collapse -
Thanks for Information
by rsturz / June 17, 2005 12:50 PM PDT

Thanks so much for the information you posted. I have been looking for over a year as to why my Sotec Laptop had start up problems. I would press the power button and it would take a very long time to power up. Once it powered up I would have to adjust the date and time. To think it was just a small lithium 3v battery CR 1220 which I got from Radio Shack to do the trick-cool. It is fantastic, I press the power button and it immediately powers up. Thanks again, also if you or anyone else knows where to obtain a laptop battery for the 820P model number LI-6012G it would be greatly appreciated

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?