Storage forum

General discussion

SOS... 5 Bad Clusters

by gsoul2soul / August 18, 2006 8:45 PM PDT

"if you have a second physical disk in your machine, you can boost performance by moving your paging file (pagefile.sys) onto your second drive"

I hear this all the time... is it TRUE ?

If yes then... shall i make my (20 GB FAT 32 HD) into Paging file disk ?
And should i disable the page file in... my main HD ?

Also, I got this HD from a fren, it's working fine... but it had 5 BAD clusters. (which i surfaced scanned and all)... but my fren didn't want it, so i took it... it's basically FREE!!!

I will be using it only for PAging file and TEMP folder for my Other softwares (like Audition, Photoshop... KAZA, Limeware...etc)

Now... is there any software, that can further check, or help in BAD clusters?

Till now... it has only, 5 BAD clusters... HELP !!!

Please... Gsoul2soul

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SOS... 5 Bad Clusters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SOS... 5 Bad Clusters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You got that one right about paging, but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2006 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: SOS... 5 Bad Clusters

Posts continue with members learning that limeware is now bad news. Members are losing their OS or files due to that. Your choice to use this poison.

Let me comment that with today's well equipped machines of 256, 512 or more megabytes of RAM that payoff of such paging file optimizing is not paying off. Your choice here and I will not discuss why in detail. You do the test.

Bob

Collapse -
re: SOS... 5 Bad Clusters
by ramarc / August 23, 2006 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: SOS... 5 Bad Clusters

dump the 'free' drive. it's just going to cause you problems in the future... probably as soon as you put something important on it.

as for the paging file... putting it on a seperate, fast drive is a boost (how much is debatable; but vista will automatically use a usb flash to offload the pagefile so there's definitely a benefit). i doubt if a 20gb drive is anywhere near as fast as your current drive so, once again, dump the 'free' drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?