Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Sorry, Lee. . .

by Coryphaeus / October 29, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

When you sent me your picture and I asked if I could advertise it you said ok, just keep it in the same thread. Again, sorry, but I feel the need for one more post on the subject.

After reading the many replies, most supportive, some not, this will be the last post on the subject. The nots have won. I've been accused of posting spam, making it difficult to find the pictures, breaking the topic of the thread, using profane language, and so forth. So be it. I'll be adding pictures as other members send them to me, and I added a few last night and one more this morning. But no more mention of the site, pictures, or the subject will be posted by me.

For those of you who would like to drop by from time to time, here is the link to the pictures http://24.0.232.224/CNet_folks/page.html It looks strange because it resides on my IBM NetVista here at the house. For those who would like to visit the home page, there is a link at the bottom of each pictures page. For those who would like to send me a picture and join the Rogue's Gallery, my email link is on the home page. I've got about 35 Gig available on the IBM so more pictures are welcome.

As they say in the cartoons, "That's all, folks."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sorry, Lee. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sorry, Lee. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BRILLIANT, LOVERLY, WHY, WHAT A GENIUS of Good Taste!
by netsky / October 29, 2004 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, Lee. . .

From Wayne's home page, a quote I had not heard before:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759"

Now, aren't we all his inferior, virtually every last one of us, me included? Yes, we are!

Collapse -
Re: BRILLIANT, LOVERLY, WHY, WHAT A GENIUS of Good Taste!
by John Robie / October 29, 2004 9:35 AM PDT

Netsky,

Wayne used to have that statement under his signature on all his posts about 5 years ago. Agree, a good-un.

JR

Collapse -
yes, a good signature quote for who i see is a univerally
by netsky / October 29, 2004 11:55 AM PDT

admired man.

Thanks for the insight, sir.

Collapse -
Wayne!!!
by MarciaB / October 29, 2004 1:49 AM PDT

You stated: "The nots have won."

NO! NO! NO!

I read those posts in Forum Feedback and also in Computer Newbies. The "nots" did not win!!! The majority of the members here have supported your wonderful CNET Faces site.

Please don't change anything.

--Marcia/Oregon

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ditto, Wayne
by Cindi Haynes / October 29, 2004 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Wayne!!!
Collapse -
Re: Sorry, Lee. . .
by Mark5019 / October 29, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

all of you should be ashamed of yourselves. i wont name names, wont give you aminition.
you couldnt make a helpfull site like wayne did and "post a link" with CNETS permison".

you all lose a good site for others over your lack of respect, i pity you.

was real hard to click a link to see friendly faces and what did wayne get a slap in the face!

Collapse -
What ARE you talking about?
by W2X3XP / October 29, 2004 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Sorry, Lee. . .

There is nothing wrong with any of Wayne's links. The site is still there.

Collapse -
There were a couple of people
by TONI H / October 29, 2004 4:50 AM PDT

in another forum who complained in the forum that Wayne's site link for the CNET FOLKS didn't go directly to that page and instead people were only linked to his homepage......where they then had to figure out which links on that page actually took them to the pictures page. For that reason, they complained that Wayne was promoting his personal site and under normal circumstances that type of link would have been removed.

They are correct; however, Wayne, over the years has occasionally posted a link to his site as a reminder to us that new pictures are there, and most moderators, myself included, overlooked the fact that it wasn't a direct link to the picture page since we had gotten used to seeing it pop up every once in a while. It's not like Wayne spams the forums on a daily basis with this link and over the years, most of us just didn't think of it as the typical spam.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: There were a couple of people
by W2X3XP / October 29, 2004 5:14 AM PDT

OIC. From the Home Page it DOES take some doing to figure out where the picture page is. However, once you know where it is then you know and you don't have to read anything else if you don't want to.

I've seen a couple other members or so post a link to their site too, didn't think of it as advertising or promoting, more like sharing.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / October 29, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

thats why ok wasnt directed at you didnt name names its a shame because wayne would bend over backwards to help anybody

Collapse -
by dawillie / October 29, 2004 10:41 AM PDT

i agree. in fact Toni H has or had a very informative site to do with PC infomation, well written with a newbie in mind.

I did see the post Wayne was referring to and frankly, my opinion of the people who denigrated it, if posted here, would probably casue me to be disciplined.

I do not see it as spamming anymore than the guy who maintains the Windows Tweaks site which is mentioned in a lot of other forums as well as the Langalist.

guess a little jealousy goes a long way.....

Collapse -
Thanks for the nice things you said about
by TONI H / October 29, 2004 11:56 AM PDT

my website. Pulled it down a few months ago since I don't use dial up anymore and decided to revamp/rewrite it now that I have more time to spend on it. Lots of links have to be checked to make sure they still work though as I've found that many of them are broken now. Especially the drivers links for hardware.

Once it's up on its new site (considering using Wayne as he was nice enough to offer me space on his server), I'll be able to post direct links again in the various computer help forums to fixes, tips, and drivers. Looking forward to getting back into that.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Thanks for the nice things you said about
by Mark5019 / October 29, 2004 12:41 PM PDT

im waiting on it toni and happy birtday youngen

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 29, 2004 1:45 PM PDT

Hi, W2X.

The rule about site promotion is generally enforced only when the site is commercial, of a questionable nature, has some "referral" value to the site-holder, or the promotion is overly blatant (I realize that last is vague, but flexibility is often an asset!)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Glenda / October 29, 2004 7:11 AM PDT

It isn't like Wayne gains anything from publishing SE pics:( This is the only way we have of actually seeing fellow members, I remember how nice it was to put a face to your name and all of the others!!! Don't give up Wayne!
Glenda

Collapse -
by dawillie / October 29, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

so, I could not find your smiling face Gelnda.
you cutie, you.....
lol

Collapse -
by Glenda / October 29, 2004 10:46 AM PDT
Happy Not as fat and round as it used to be:) Maybe I will send a new pic to Wayne one of these days:)
Glenda
Collapse -
by dawillie / October 29, 2004 10:53 AM PDT

would be nice, and Evie as well?
david

Collapse -
You need to ask Evie
by Glenda / October 29, 2004 11:09 AM PDT

I don't speak for her:)
Glenda

PS after another 30 pounds off I might send the pic then:)

Collapse -
Re: You need to ask Evie
by dawillie / October 29, 2004 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: You need to ask Evie

hopefully she will read these posts and deal with it, accordingly.

Collapse -
no worries
by netsky / October 29, 2004 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: You need to ask Evie

if baring our souls here is no great distinction why not send a photo sooner than later?

we all must love ourselves as we are because there are no transfigurations, not really, while we exist here.

no reason to fret over mere facts and being judged by your peers. the one camp is fully supportive and the other, is NEVER going to poke fun at how any of us or you 'look' by standards of weight or measure i really don't know how to say it properly: you are accepted for who you are, not by appearance.

yet, lee puts it so well: to have a mental image of the contributors, from a photograph, makes it much richer an experience when conversing on forum.

I see Angeline, for instance, daily. I have a snapshot in my mind and it is flattering to her, that picture at waynes site, and a comfort to me even tho i do not flatter myself about Angeline at all. I just like her picture very much!

And I will like yours too no matter what.

Collapse -
Re: *sigh* if only 'twere true
by jonah jones / October 29, 2004 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: no worries

#the other, is NEVER going to poke fun at how any of us or you 'look' by standards of weight or measure i really don't know how to say it properly: you are accepted for who you are, not by appearance#

not wishing to throw asparagus, but some here will remember that there are those will prove you wrong...

Collapse -
And for that reason ...
by Evie / October 29, 2004 10:43 PM PDT

... my picture will never be posted. It is nice to put a face to the "voice" here, but all things considered it just wouldn't be wise for me to share. Maybe a baby pic sometime. Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: *sigh* if only 'twere true
by Glenda / October 30, 2004 1:29 AM PDT

So true, Jonah! And that is why I had Wayne remove my pic in the first place:( Oh well:) As I remember you also had a really BAD experience:(
Glenda

Collapse -
Ah, such a way you have with words....
by John Robie / October 30, 2004 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: no worries
Wink

Without a picture, I have visions of some posters by their comments as being a big fat ugly sow/boar.

Then again with a picture and their comments..........

Happy
JR
Collapse -
Re: Ah, such a way you have with words....
by cbbrown / October 30, 2004 2:43 AM PDT

I never needed a picture to know from posts that a person was lasciviously devoid of desired humanly desirable traits. :^O

Collapse -
hahahah you choke me down, sir!
by netsky / November 1, 2004 12:44 PM PST

Only now did i read your input.

I have a way with Sapolio.

You have a way with the scrub brush.

---legions of SE readers ask in perplexment:

Sapolio? WHAT the heck is "Sapolio"?

answer: it was the 1900 equivalent of Mr. Clean or Formula 409 of today.

It was a soap product household cleanser. Here is an early classic of advertising jingle, absolutely authentically quoted from perfect memory. Some things never desert the joke-chambers of my mind:

In Days of Old
Ye Witches Bold
Swept Cobwebs From the Sky
But Modern Maid
Is NOT Afraid
Sapolio To try!

I almost want to append

BURMA SHAVE

but that would be one soap too many for here and now

Collapse -
by Rolway / October 29, 2004 11:20 AM PDT

Well, I must say dawillie. I have met Glenda and shes a very beautiful striking young lady. Happy

George

Collapse -
More more.........
by Glenda / October 29, 2004 12:33 PM PDT

LOL Thank you for the compliment George:) And you know what I think of you and the wife:) You are great people:) Love ya!
Glenda

Collapse -
by dawillie / October 29, 2004 5:52 PM PDT

some folks have all the luck in the world.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.