Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Soooooo many temporary files, cannot delete!!

by JJSOLOMON / July 14, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

I am running Windows 98SE and am really not having any problems. However, we were having problems with our computers at work (where I run WinXP) and got to talking with a technician who came by to help us out. When I told him how many temp files I have on my PC at home, he was astounded and told me I could safely get rid of them. If you can believe it, I have so many temp files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder, it is taking up 2.57 GIGS OF MY HARD DRIVE!!

As you might imagine, I would love to get rid of them and retrieve that disk space, but there's a problem. There are so many files, it takes a ridiculous amount of time just to do a search for various *.tmp and *.dmp files (let alone all the other crap in there), let alone to actually try deleting them.

I have tried Disk Cleanup, but for whatever reason, even though I checked off the box to wipe out the Windows Temp files, it tells me that the folder is taking up 0kb of disk space, and it doesn't get rid of anything. What do I do now? I want to get rid of this stuff.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Soooooo many temporary files, cannot delete!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Soooooo many temporary files, cannot delete!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
don't be offended
by cravinbob / July 15, 2005 1:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Run CCleaner (aka Crap Cleaner)
by Blue_Zee / July 15, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

www.ccleaner.com

Zee

Collapse -
Hello Zee
by Bill_DL / July 16, 2005 6:58 PM PDT

Same profile info - just knew it had to be you Happy

Collapse -
:-) Hello Bill!
by Blue_Zee / July 16, 2005 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello Zee

Nice to see you around.
Happy

Zee

Collapse -
Soooooo many temporary files
by Bob__B / July 15, 2005 1:37 AM PDT

Well if your sure you want to get rid if them all.

Use W.E.
Open the temp folder.
Edit/select all.
R/C delete.
Empty the recycle bin.

Not sure if the recycle bin will crab about that much data, so maybe take it out in bunches.

Use W.E.
Open the temp folder.
Press and hold the left mouse button to hi-lite a bunch of files, it's called roping and takes a little practice.
R/C delete.
Empty the recycle bin.

Collapse -
hold shift key, then hit delete,...
by reefurbb / July 15, 2005 11:29 PM PDT

won't go to recycle bin, permanent deletion
Note: trying to delete so many, by any method, may take some minutes. Walk away and come back later.
Real question is HOW did you get that much?
NOTE: If a virus or malware, some needed files may have been put there maliciously, deleting will screw your OS.
I would put in a 3.2gb or larger other Hdd and try moving all those files to it. If a needed file in use, you'll get an error message and some won't be moved.
If needed after reboot, you can get them back from other HDD.
If truly not needed, you can clear the other Hdd.
FIRST, RUN scandisk to see errors and to correct "reported free disk space".
Later, be sure to scan with updated antivirus, spy cleaners...

Collapse -
If you tried holding the left button on mouse and
by Earth9111 / July 16, 2005 12:38 AM PDT

starting with top of Temp files,scroll down until you are at bottom of page and then hit delete.

Collapse -
Disk Cleanup
by Cursorcowboy / July 16, 2005 12:53 AM PDT
PART I:

I have tried Disk Cleanup, but for whatever reason, even though I checked off the box to wipe out the Windows Temp files, it tells me that the folder is taking up 0kb of disk space, and it doesn't get rid of anything.

1. The Disk Cleanup (Cleanmgr.exe) tool includes one confusing option that can leave an inordinate amount of wasted space on you hard drive. When run, one of the available options offers to delete Temporary files. Unfortunately, this option may display a value of zero even if your Temporary folder contains hundreds of useless files since this value lists only file in that folder with a date more than one week old (Note #5a below for peculiar reasons however). Therefore, if files still exists after using the tool, you may at your convenience delete any and all unused and unnecessary files.

2. The article [Q310312] states the Disk Cleanup tool helps you free up space on your hard disk by searching your disk for files that you can safely delete. You can choose to delete some or all of the files as follows:

? Remove temporary Internet files.

? Remove downloaded program files. For example, ActiveX controls and Java applets that are downloaded from the Internet.

? Empty the Recycle Bin.

? Remove Windows temporary files.

? Remove optional Windows components that you are not using.

? Remove installed programs that you no longer use.

Note: If you start the Disk Cleanup utility and click the Disk Cleanup tab, a System Restore: Obsolete Data Stores entry may be available. These are files that were created before reformatting or reinstalling Windows and are obsolete and can safely be deleted. If you choose to cleanup and delete these files, this option does not show again.

3. The article [Q315246] describes how to use command-line options to configure the Disk Cleanup tool (options) to automatically clean up certain files by using the Scheduled Tasks tool.

4. The articles [Q812248] and [Q812930] state the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding (hang) and you may receive the following message -- that would require an edit of the system registry to correct.

? Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C: ).
This may take a few minutes to complete.
Scanning: Compress old files

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
\Compress Old Files

Note: Two important things to know is that the system registry copies changes immediately and there is no Undo command. The editor does not wait for a Save to be issued since it does not have one and therefore makes changes permanent as they happen -- you make a change it's gone forever unless you remember it or have already backed up a copy. Use the editor sparingly and soberly and do not leave it open unnecessarily.

a. Click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

Note: Click the ''Plus'' before each of the words preceded by a back-slash in the above registry address until you reach Compress Old Files, which you will then bold/highlight by clicking.

b. From the Main menu, click Edit, Delete, or after an entry has been bolded simply press the Del key on the keypad and respond with an affirmative.

5. The article [Q823302] provides the steps and explains that when you try to run the Windows XP Disk Cleanup tool, it may stop responding and occurs because you have corrupted temporary files on the computer that will require manual deletion.

a. The article [Q320081] explains why you may not be able to delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume and how to address the different causes to resolve the issue.

b. The Windows Recovery Console can be used to obtain limited access to NTFS, FAT, and FAT32 volumes without starting Windows, [Q314058]. Please also read, ''HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654).''

c. Otherwise, please read Doug Knox's tip, ''How do I delete an ''undeletable'' file?''

d. The article [Q320081] explains that you may not be able to delete a file if the file is being used, and the symptoms may vary. You may be able to use the delete command to delete a file, but the file is not actually deleted until the process that has the file open releases the file. Additionally, you may not be able to access the Security dialog box for a file that is pending deletion. To determine what process may have a file open, ''Display a List of Processes That Have Files Open (Q242131).''

PART II:

As you might imagine, I would love to get rid of them and retrieve that disk space, but there's a problem. There are so many files, it takes a ridiculous amount of time just to do a search for various *.tmp and *.dmp files (let alone all the other crap in there), let alone to actually try deleting them.

Note the underlined portion in your initial state and I wonder why? You have the options of simply deleting -- or moving them somewhere else to decide about later. With so many, I wouldn't delete to the Recycled Bin. I'd highlight what I want to get rid of and do the key combinations, Shift+Del.

a. If you have not allowed downloads to the Windows\Temp folder, files shouldn't be there, except during active use by the OS or a program being actively used.

b. During an installation, Windows may in many instances uncompact the installation files for certain programs and applications either in the Windows\Temp folder, or a sub-folder thereof, and will usually clear-out those used/finished files after a reboot -- normally suggested by the program being installed. The cleaning process however is determined by how well the distributor of the program wrote their program to do this.

c. Course, your system could have been invaded by software without your knowledge and such may use the Windows\Temp folder for their files or certain ones -- many don't however. If you suspect that you have unwelcome visitors, run six or eight utilities to clean them out.
Collapse -
P.S.:
by Cursorcowboy / July 16, 2005 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Cleanup

If you simply delete rather than moving and a system wants something which is no longer there, you could have a dead system -- at least if something which can't be found by the system, you know where it is and it could then be put back for later determination.

Collapse -
Rename the folder?
by JJSOLOMON / July 16, 2005 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: P.S.:

So then, by that logic, shouldn't I just modify the name of the temp folder to something like "temp2". Then reboot and if everything works fine, that means I can safely remove all the files in that directory. Right?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 'u could & then check that new "TEMP" is created.
by Cursorcowboy / July 16, 2005 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Rename the folder?
Collapse -
Assuming that you...
by Edward ODaniel / July 16, 2005 3:08 AM PDT

are also having TMP files in other directories a very simple batch file can locate and delete all of them for you. A really nice thing about it is that it doesn't delete any TMP files that are currently in use.

The same batch file can be used to locate and remove any other type of file including the DMP files not in use.

Simply copy the following bolded text into NOTEPAD and save it as DEL_TMP.BAT then edit it to reflect the drives you actually have.

ECHO OFF
ECHO This batch file will readily delete all temp files on a computer.
ECHO It must be edited so that it only reflects
ECHO the actual drives/partitions available!
ECHO ****************************************
ECHO CD-ROMS or CD Writers MUST NOT be listed. !!
ECHO Other removable media should also not be listed.
ECHO ****************************************
ECHO .
ECHO OFF
REM the following three lines change to the C: drive then
REM the root of the drive, then delete all available TMP files

c:
cd \
del *.tmp /s

REM These next three line sets do the same for drive D, E, F, and so forth
d:
cd \
del *.tmp /s

e:
cd\
del *.tmp /s

f:
cd \
del *.tmp /s

g:
cd \
del *.tmp /s

REM i:
REM cd \
REM del *.tmp /s

p:
cd \
del *.tmp /s

q:
cd \
del *.tmp /s

REM This final two lines simply changes back to the c: drive
REM then pauses so you can review deletions. Press any key
REM and the command window closes. Have fun.

c:
CD \

pause

Collapse -
I found the culprits .. help me!
by JJSOLOMON / July 16, 2005 3:28 PM PDT

Alright, I did a manual deleting of the folder in Windows Explorer using SHIFT+DEL and guess what, IT STILL LEFT 2.25 GIGS OF FILES!!! How this is possible is beyond my comprehension.

Interestingly enough, it's not from any hidden files. I highlighted all of the remaining files I see in the folder and it adds up to 2.25 gigs. So I was going through them one by one and came across the files that are taking up 99% of the space:

- A file called "Hpdj0025.pdl" (661MB)
- A file called "Hpdj0026.pdl" (672MB)
- A file called "Hpdj0027.pdl" (959MB)

Those are the culprits right there. Can somebody research this and tell me what these files are and if it's safe to get rid of them?? I didn't find anything on them.

Collapse -
Those are program-generated files
by Bill_DL / July 16, 2005 6:54 PM PDT

Hi JJ

On the face of it hpdj* files would tend to look like an acronym for ''Hewlett Packard Deskjet Printer'' files, but it seems that there are 3 commonly associated programs that use this file type:

Print Shop Pro Publisher
Hijaak Draw
Borland C++ Programming

Best bet is probably the Print Shop Pro program that is most likely installed to:
C:\The Print Shop Products\The Print Shop Pro Publisher (version)\The Print Shop (version)\

Double-Click on one of them and see what it opens with.

Most Imaging programs create backup files with each change, and these are then used with the incremental ''undo'' feature. Many are set to default to the C:\Windows\TEMP folder, but I am pretty sure that you will be able to change this through the program's user options or preferences.

Have a look at the options and see if there is a way to limit the ''cached'' content to a set capacity and also change the folder used for the TEMP files. It might be to do with the number of ''Undo levels'' allowable.

It should be possible to create a new sub-folder under the program folder eg.
''C:\The Print Shop Products\The Print Shop Pro Publisher (version)\The Print Shop (version)\TempFiles''
and then use the program's user options to set this as the folder used.

It might also have an option where you can click a button to ''delete temp files now''. If not, then a batch file something like the following could be used to periodically delete the temp files. Note, DOS doesn't like folder or file names with spaces, so you have to use abbreviated names as shown for the example that assumes what I have described above:

@echo off
if exist C:\thepri~1\thepri~1\thepri~1\tempfi~1\*.pdl del C:\thepri~1\thepri~1\thepri~1\tempfi~1\*.pdl > nul
exit

If you don't have that program installed, then perhaps you have either of the other two installed and can similarly change the settings to limit the temporary file cache size and change the temp folder.

Collapse -
More info about Print Shop Pro
by Bill_DL / July 16, 2005 7:17 PM PDT

Just looking at the program:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066HAG/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-1291820-7534444

http://support.broderbund.com/alpha.asp?list=1234567890

It seems that the program uses images and templates from CD's. It could be that these are temporarily stored in the TEMP folder while being accessed for the current project, in which case their may be no control over this.

Also note that broderbund USED to secretly install what amounted to a parasite (brodcast DSS Agent) due to the fact that it didn't uninstall when you uninstalled their product.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/broderbund.html

It all depends how old the software is IF that is what you have installed.

Brodcast DSS Agent Removal tool:
http://support.broderbund.com/brodcastdl.asp?dlid=

http://65.196.230.73/Broderbund/cleanbc.exe

Collapse -
Thank you very much!
by JJSOLOMON / July 17, 2005 3:54 AM PDT

Well, once you told me about the files' affiliation with Print Shop, I knew I didn't need them. I did the easiest thing and rebooted into MS-DOS mode and manually deleted each of the three files there. I also decided to save my old projects and uninstall Print Shop as I have not used the program in years.

I am proud to say that my free hard disk space has increased from 17.3 gigs to 20.2 gigs. Believe me, that is a big difference. Thank you for all your help!

Collapse -
by stormfords / July 18, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

maybe ure hard drive is stuffed or search in google for temp cleaner otha wise new hard drive and a bigger 1 at that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?