Sony XBR-65X930D picture settings and HDR notes

Review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-x930d/

Related products:
Sony XBR-55X930D

Calibration report using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 5.1.1

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Sony XBR-65X930D in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Prior to calibration the Cinema Pro picture mode came closest to the ideal for theatrical viewing Its grayscale was rather plus-blue, particularly in brighter areas, and it was about twice as bright as my dim-room target of about 40 fL.

The 2-point grayscale calibration system proved frustrating, first because it would often lag behind and fail to respond to my moving around and adjusting menu items, and second because the settings adjustments didn't work well. The bias setting, for example, didn't have enough effect, while the gain settings were too coarse. Nonetheless I was able to achieve very good grayscale and gamma, so I didn't have to resort to the 10-point system.

Sony's set doesn't have a CMS (color management system) but its rendition of the Rec 709 colorspace for HD is so accurate, there's no need for one.

One quick note: Sony/Google have done something I applaud in finally straightening out the names for two picture settings. The "Brightness" control on the Sony actually controls the luminance (brightness) of the backlight, and there's a "Black Level" control that does exactly what it says (sets the level of black). On every other TV I can remember, over almost two decades, the Brightness control is named incorrectly, and controls black level. Bravo!

Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 11
Color: 50
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 11
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Adv. contrast enhancer: Off
Auto local dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Color space: Auto
Live Color: Off

-- Adv. color temperature sub-menu
Basic
R-Gain: -3
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -8
R-Bias: Max
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 6

Multi point (10p) [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: High

HDR notes: I measured HDR using a beta workflow supplied by Spectracal, makers of the CalMan software I use for SDR calibration, along with beta firmware for my Quantum Data 780 signal generator. Since the state of HDR evaluation is still in its infancy, take the results below with a grain of salt (or ten).

To test HDR signals, I made sure to do two things. The first was to select the BT.2020 color space (not DCI, which looked comparatively unsaturated with the Samsung 4K Blu-ray player) and the second was to activate the "HDMI Enhanced" function on the input I used (to do so, from the Home menu scroll down to Settings -> External Inputs -> HDMI Signal Format -> Select Enhanced). This is the equivalent of the "HDMI UHD Color" setting on Samsung TVs and "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" on LG TVs.

According to Sony, "HDMI Enhanced enables the HDMI2.0a compatibility mode. Some legacy HDMI devices don’t understand the HDMI2.0a EDID so all TVs need to ship with legacy HDMI1.4a EDID by default." (On the 2016 LG UH8500, a little pop-up reminds you to engage the setting. It would be nice if Sony and others followed suit.)

The Sony measured well overall compared to the Samsung UN65JS9500 and the LG 65EF9500 OLED with an HDR10 source (I didn't measure any 2016 TV's HDR for this review, but plan to soon). In the "HDR Video" mode's default settings, it showed the lowest grayscale errors, hewing closest to the ST2084 (PQ) EOTF target. None of the three were particularly accurate in this regard, so I suspect something might be amiss in my grayscale methodology (hence the grains of salt).

I'm more confident in the color measurements I took, which again showed the Sony as best of the three. It covered 91 percent of the DCI/P3 color gamut, and registered excellent results for P3 saturation (delta error of 2.Cool and color checker (2.7). The other two sets covered a bit less of the gamut and measured significantly worse delta errors for both.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sony XBR-65X930D picture settings and HDR notes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony XBR-65X930D picture settings and HDR notes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
SONY XBR75X940D

Any chance of getting a review and most defiantly calibration setting for this unit. The 930 use a different panel and i assume the 940 has a better picture,especially since i just bought the 940. The z series just to expensive especially for a TV without Dolby vision.
thanks Ron

- Collapse -
Standard vs Other Picture Modes

I can't get past how the picture seems to take on a yellow hue when using Custom, Cinema Pro, Cinema Home. I want a "better" picture than basic "Standard" but I don't know how to remove the "yellow " hue.

Also, do the adjustments made in each picture mode save automatically and not effect the other modes?

- Collapse -
My settings for Standard

I have the 940C and here are the setting that I run with. I prefer a little more 'pop' to the picture than many other enthusiasts. The settings (Standard / Cinema Pro, etc) are separate from each other.
SONY XBR75X940X Setup
Picture Adjustments
Picture Mode: Standard
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 36
Color: 58
Light Sensor: Off
Advanced Settings
Brightness
Brightness: 36
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0