Sony XBR-49X900F
Sony XBR-55X900F
Sony XBR-65X900F
Sony XBR-75X900F
Sony XBR-85X900F

Calibration report using these settings:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 7.0

Picture settings tested: CNET is no longer publishing numeric picture settings for TVs we review. Instead, we'll give more general recommendations to get the best picture without listing detailed while balance or color management system (CMS) settings. Here they are for the Sony XBR-65X900F.

Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 8
Color: 50
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 6
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Adv Color temperature [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: Custom [Smoothness 2, Clearness 1]
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto

Calibration Notes: In an usual move for a TV company, Sony sent reviewers like me a full guide for calibrating the X900F. So I followed it for this review. Before I got it, however, I measured all of the picture modes and, as usual, Cinema Pro was the most accurate.

Sony told me to calibrate in Custom, however, with a with a 2.2 gamma target, and also provided some tips on other settings to use. After that I was told to copy my settings over to Cinema Pro. After doing so it was more accurate than the initial settings (always a plus with calibrations) but not perfect, so I tweaked it a bit and dialed in my target luminance (40 fTL, or about 132 nits) for dark-room comparisons. The final results were superb, with average delta errors for grayscale and color checker. Sony's controls worked very well in calibration, and I really appreciated its tips.

HDR Notes: The best mode was once again Cinema Pro, with an EOTF that hewed nicely to the target. Light output in that mode was superb at 1056 nits, albeit less than the blazing 1203 achieved by the much less accurate Vivid mode. Color metrics were likewise solid, including an impressive 95% coverage of the P3 color gamut and a color checker error of just 1.63.

You'll want to engage the HDMI Enhanced format option when you connect HDR sources like 4K Blu-ray players -- and unlike Samsung and LG, the Sony doesn't automatically detect and change that setting for you. The menu says it affects inputs 2 and 3, but according to Sony all four of the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0B, which supports 4K HDR. Only inputs 2 and 3 support 18GBps speeds, however, so "Connecting a 4K/UHD Blu-ray player to these ports will ensure their 4K HDR 60P content will be optimized," Sony's representative told us.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony XBR-65X900F basic picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony XBR-65X900F basic picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I got a 75 inch 900f last week.

In reply to: Sony XBR-65X900F basic picture settings

Trying to set up for best for film. And then for gaming. Any tips ?

Collapse -
Hdmi enhanced

In reply to: Sony XBR-65X900F basic picture settings

Where do I find this "hdmi enchanced" menu setting for 4k content connections?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!