Review: Sony XBR-65X900E

Related products:
Sony XBR-49X900E
Sony XBR-55X900E
Sony XBR-75X900E

Calibration report using these settings:
TK

TV software/firmware version tested: 7.0

Picture settings tested: As of the 2017 model year, CNET is no longer publishing numeric picture settings for TVs we review. Instead, we'll give more general recommendations to get the best picture without listing detailed while balance or color management system (CMS) settings. Here they are for the Sony XBR-65X900E.

Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 10
Color: 50
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Multi point (10p) [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto

Calibration Notes: Before calibration the Cinema Pro preset was the most accurate, although it was quite bright for a dim room at around 90 fTL, and tended toward blue. Unlike most TV makers Sony leaves the ambient light sensor turned on by default in its best picture modes, so for those (and all other) measurements I turned it off. With it on in my dark room, for reference, light output dropped to just 18 fTL.

As usual I targeted 40 fTL for calibration, but to get there I tried out a couple of the Sony's advanced settings. I settled on the Auto Local Dimming at Medium and Xtended Dynamic Range Off, which happen to be the default settings for Cinema Low. For local dimming, gamma measured best in Medium and Low, but Medium delivered superior black levels. Gamma was a mess in all of the XDR settings, which boosts peak signals to achieve an HDR-like effect.

For grayscale adjustment I tweaked the settings in Expert 1, the most accurate (Although Expert 2 is basically the same), using the 2 point system. The results were incredibly good, and there was no reason to touch the multipoint system. Color was also very impressive, so I didn't mind the Sony's lack of a color management system.

HDR Notes: The best mode was once again Cinema Pro, with an EOTF that hewed nicely to the target, albeit not quite as good as some competitors. Light output in that mode was very good at 860 nits, just short of the 902 achieved by the much less accurate Vivid mode, and color metrics were likewise solid, including an impressive 94% coverage of the P3 color gamut.

Like other TVs you'll want to engage the HDMI Enhanced format option when you connect HDR sources like 4K Blu-ray players -- and unlike LG, the Sony doesn't automatically detect and change that setting for you. The menu says it affects inputs 2 and 3, but according to Sony all four of the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0B, which supports 4K HDR. Only inputs 2 and 3 support 18GBps speeds, however, so "Connecting a 4K/UHD Blu-ray player to these ports will ensure their 4K HDR 60P content will be optimized," Sony's representative told us.

Post was last edited on November 30, 2017 6:42 AM PST

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sony XBR-65X900E basic picture settings and HDR notes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony XBR-65X900E basic picture settings and HDR notes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
HDR Settings

Great settings, but what about HDR settings?

- Collapse -
(NT) How should I set this when using my 900e with Directv Sat

CNET Forums