Sony XBR-65X850D

Related products:
Sony XBR-55X850D
Sony XBR-75X850D
Sony XBR-85X850D

Calibration report using these settings:
[see link below]

TV software/firmware version tested: 5.1.1

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Sony XBR-65X850D in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Prior to calibration the Cinema Pro, Cinema Home and Custom picture modes were all quite accurate, but Pro was best in my darkened room by a hair, thanks to darker gamma. All were too bright, however, and skewed slightly blue toward the brighter end of the scale.

The set's controls worked very well in calibration to improve the grayscale even more. I ended up with superb results--every point showing a delta error less than 2--and didn't even have to touch the 10-point system. Sony's set doesn't have a CMS (color management system) but its rendition of the Rec 709 colorspace for HD is so accurate, there's no need for one.

One quick note: Sony/Google have done something I applaud in finally straightening out the names for two picture settings. The "Brightness" control on the Sony actually controls the luminance (brightness) of the backlight, and there's a "Black Level" control that does exactly what it says (sets the level of black). On every other TV I can remember, over almost two decades, the Brightness control is named incorrectly, and controls black level, while contrast and backlight (on an LCD TV) affect luminance. Bravo Sony!

Picture adjustments menu

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 8
Color: 50
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 8
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -1
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Adv. contrast enhancer: Off

-- Color sub-menu
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Color space: Auto
Live Color: Off

-- Adv. color temperature sub-menu
Basic
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -6
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Multi point (10p) [no changes]

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off

-- Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: High

HDR notes: As with other recent TV reviews, I measured HDR10 using workflows supplied by Spectracal, makers of the CalMan software I use for calibration, along with a Murideo Fresco SIG-6 signal generator. With better equipment and improved workflows I'm getting more confident in these measurements, but I still don't consider them as definitive as with SDR (especially the EOTF measurements).

To compare HDR I made sure to activate the "HDMI Enhanced" function on the input I used (to do so, from the Home menu scroll down to Settings -> External Inputs -> HDMI Signal Format -> Select Enhanced). This is the equivalent of the "HDMI UHD Color" setting on Samsung TVs and "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color" on LG TVs, both of which are engaged automatically (on 2016 models) when the TVs detect the Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-ray player. With Sony's (and Vizio's) 2016 TVs, you have to engage these settings manually.

According to Sony, "HDMI Enhanced enables the HDMI2.0a compatibility mode. Some legacy HDMI devices don’t understand the HDMI2.0a EDID so all TVs need to ship with legacy HDMI1.4a EDID by default."

The Sony TVs automatically lock into the "HDR Video" picture mode, which restricts some settings. In that mode the X850D's EOTF was decent, better at sticking to the target than Vizio or the Samsung KS8000, but not as good as the X930D or the LG OLED TVs.

Like the X930D before it the X850D was among the better HDR TVs I've tested with advanced color metrics, scoring delta errors of 3 for color checker and 3.7 for P3 saturations. Both Sonys have Triluminous technology, which the company says improve gamut, but the more-expensive X930D scored better (wider) on the P3 gamut test, covering 91 percent compared to 88 percent for the X850D. It's worth noting that, unlike on the X930D I tested earlier, I didn't need to change the Color Space setting to BT.2020 manually; the default Auto worked well.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sony XBR-65X850D picture settings and HDR notes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony XBR-65X850D picture settings and HDR notes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
link to calibration report
- Collapse -
Picture setting

I doubt this will be seen but it's worth a try. I just bought this TV last night and was messing with the picture setting (unsuccessfully). My question is, do the setting stay after you've changed them between the picture modes (gaming, cinema, standard etc...)?

- Collapse -
Picture setting.

My settings seem to stay, yes. YMMV tho. You will have to set them up for each input tho, for example I set up Apps/Video, which is the default when viewing anything via apps on the TV. I then have to set up HDMI 1 with the same settings for each mode. Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Smart TV Support
- Collapse -
Picture seems dim

Well i put in the exact settings and the picture seems extemely dim...Not sure what im doing wrong..any suggestions?

- Collapse -
Look at the usual testing room at link.
- Collapse -
Thank you

These are the best settings!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

CNET Forums