TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony XBR 6...any word on these ?

Has anyone heard anything about the improvements for the XBR 6 line coming out by Sony ? I have to say, the XBR 4&5 impressed the hell out of me and I am simply waiting in the bushes to pick up a 52" in August...unless anyone here convinces me otherwise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony XBR 6...any word on these ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony XBR 6...any word on these ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have not heard a lot about the XBR6...

In reply to: Sony XBR 6...any word on these ?

thus far.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, I have heard plenty about the XBR8, which is Sony's first foray into Local Dimming LED backlight LCDs. The blacks are said to be the deepest of any LCD ever (including Samsungs LED LCD, the 81F series) and could come as close to a Kuro as you can possibly hope that an LCD ever could come.

These will not be cheap obviously.

In terms of the XBR6, I expect the requisite improved black level, improved contrast ratio, improved processing, improved styling (highly subjective) that you would expect with any new iteration of a television line. You can probably also throw in improved 120hz Motion processing as well.

Whether these additions, barring any new must have features that I am not aware of, will make it worth the price of admission, compared to a discounted XBR4, only time will tell.

I am curious to lay eyes on it, and especially the XBR8, when they hit stores.

Collapse -
Interesting

In reply to: I have not heard a lot about the XBR6...

Very interesting...it seems like everyone is searching for the elusive true black now a days. I thought the onset of the 120 hz was actually more impressive in terms of technological strides.

Collapse -
It is and it isn't lol...

In reply to: Interesting

Viewed briefly in a store or at someone's house, 120hz processing is quite jaw dropping, but as the saying goes, reality bites.

Under certain circumstances, the smooth motion is very enjoyable, and dare I say, revolutionary. It lends a very realistic aspect to some material. More realistic than even great blacks and color accuracy. At other times though, it can make certain material look so unrealistic and cartoonish that it makes me want to gag lol.

In general, I can't stand it most of the time when it comes to movies. Watch the Spider-man 3 BD on a 120hz TV and you will know what I mean. When there movements are subtle or sparse, it is like gazing through a window at real people. When there is any action on screen, it is like looking at the cheapest B-movie you can ever imagine.

Then take into account the "halo effect", which is very visible, the way in which the 120hz processing can sometimes disengage and then re-engage, which is very disorienting, and the case against 120hz gets stronger.

Don't let the salesman or some owners of a 120hz TV fool you, these issues do happen, especially with the Samsung models, as I have seen them enough to know.

If they could implement 120hz in such a way that it smooths motion when you need it to, but then gets the hell out of the way when it is actually a detriment, then I would be more of a proponent of it. As it stands now, there are more minuses than pluses in my opinion and everyone would be better served to save their money.

If you are a big movie buff, it robs movies of all of their charm by making them look like they were filmed with a video camera. That's just not the way a movie should be seen.

It is awe inspiring when you first see 120hz in action, but it wears off very quickly in practical, everyday application for me.

Collapse -
xrb5

In reply to: It is and it isn't lol...

did cnet even review the it yet? It just came out not to long ago but i still havent seen a review

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.