Sony forum

General discussion

Sony WEGA KDF-50WE655

by blrith / August 22, 2009 2:20 AM PDT

We purchased a 50" Sony Wega rear-projection TV January 28, 2005. Earlier this year (2009) it developed a creeping thick blue streak at the lower left corner. In our research we found it is a common problem with the optical block. In searching further we discovered Sony was/is aware of it. They extended the warranty to 12/28/08 unknown to us. We have contacted Sony as well as the NY BBB and AZ Attny General's office and no one will hold them accountable to our total amazement and shock. We will NEVER purchase ANY Sony products of any kind EVER again. So buyer beware if you are contemplating buying a Sony product.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony WEGA KDF-50WE655
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony WEGA KDF-50WE655
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The infamous blue streak problem.
by glodack / August 22, 2009 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony WEGA KDF-50WE655

Keep complaining about this ever growing problem. This issue keeps growing on this site, maybe someone will notice it and TAKE A STAND!!!!!

Collapse -
Don't Buy Sony
by Dorion123 / August 22, 2009 5:40 AM PDT

I have the same tv with the same problem. I bought mine in July of 2005 for $2400 and had to replace a bulb in September of 2008(another $200).
Sony's customer service is absolutely worthless and all they do to remedy the situation is to offer to sell you another TV for $1350.
I told these idiots that I would be willing to pay for the repair if they would send me a replacement part (of course they "regretfully" declined). There are so many people that Sony has burned with these faulty Optical Blocks and now their attitude is pretty much "too bad".
I will NEVER buy another Sony product and will tell everyone I know to Buy a Samsung!!

Collapse -
Faux Sony Service Here
by simply_bill / August 22, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

As the Faux Snoy Support person I would like to say I have never heard of this problem. Are you sure that there isn't a blue spot on your glasses?

We will make the same effort to solve your issue that we do for all of the other Sony Wega owners. First we need you to stand with your back towards the TV, bend over and grab your ankles. We have added a special feature to all of the Wega sets. Close you eyes and find out how truly unpleasant we can make your Wega experience.

Collapse -
Sony WEGA KDF-42 and 50WE655
by bluonsony / August 24, 2009 5:40 AM PDT

We have blobs on both TV's, one is pervasive and caused us to abandon use of this TV - the other a stable yellow blob on the 42". We have had the same non-response from Sony as everyone else and have joined the class action suit out of California.

Collapse -
Response
by simply_bill / August 24, 2009 9:41 AM PDT

They do hear you at Sony. Why else would they be laughing? Making millions in profit off loyal customers, then just throwing them overboard. What do expect from a nation that invent the Kamikaze. If Sony could put wings on our Wega's and ram us into the ground would they?

Collapse -
blobs
by CyBarn / August 30, 2009 4:21 AM PDT

I also have the blobs on my set.
How do you join the class action lawsuit?

Collapse -
Sony is great in my book.
by AZreGuy / October 18, 2009 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: blobs

What other company would stand behind their product after a warranty expires. I bought my TV in 2004 and in late 2008 I had the blob issue, after looking on the issue on the internet, as the tv was out of warranty, I found out it was the optical block. I called Sony and they referred me to the authorized repair shop, after speaking with him he told me to call Sony and ask about the options.
They would pay for the repair $1200-1500, and my tv would be out of warranty or I could purchase a new one for a greatly discounted price. I chose the new one and I had to send in the SN tag to them and keep the TV. I bought an optical block and changed it myself. 2 great Sony's in my home.

Collapse -
Be heard
by simply_bill / November 10, 2009 11:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Help Me please
by carlosmenss / December 8, 2009 2:41 AM PST

NOW When I connect my PS3 to my Sony wage KDF-50E2000 the message " Unsopported signal. Ckeck your device output" is on the screen. But I dont understand why. Because I have already play video games whit my PS3 in this TV. I use a HDMI cable and the cable is good. ALSOwhen I connect the TV with this cable to the DVD player It work very well.
My question is what can I do to fix this ^

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?